Franchise: Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell is a Cyberpunk and/or Post-Cyberpunk franchise about a cyborg woman in an elite Japanese police force. While each part shares the same characters, settings, and themes, the plot and continuity varies between the different adaptations. Brought to you by Shirow Masamune.
Works in the Ghost in the Shell franchise:
- Ghost in the Shell: The original manga by Shirow Masamune.
- Ghost in the Shell: The 1995 anime film adaption, directed by Mamoru Oshii. Had a sequel, Ghost in the Shell: Innocence.
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: The 2002 anime TV series adaptation. Followed up by the second season, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig and The Movie Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society.
- Ghost in the Shell: Arise: 2013 OVA series. The chief director is Kazichika Kise, who worked as the Key Animator for numerous Production I.G. works, including everything related to the franchise. Tow Ubukata, of Fafner in the Azure: Dead Aggressor and Mardock Scramble fame, is in charge of writing the scripts for the new series.
- Alternative Architecture: 10-episode Spring 2015 Anime series that consists of the four original Arise OVAs divided up into 2 episodes each, with the final two episodes being a new story arc called Pyrophoric Cult.
- Ghost in the Shell: Shin Gekijouban* . A movie taking place after Arise / Alternative Architecture that released in Japanese theaters on June 20, 2015. It also celebrated the 25-year anniversary of the franchise (the original manga was serialized in Japan from 1989-1990).