Webcomic: The Church Of Gaming
The Church of Gaming
started out as a minor chat Web site based on the religion from Ctrl+Alt+Del
but split into its own multiverse with multiple stories and characters. It currently follows Adam, Austin, James and Scott as they lead the Church of Gaming. The stories can be read at http://churchofgaming.wetpaint.com/
The Church of Gaming provides examples of:
- Animate Dead: The Scourge do this to fallen foes.
- Author Avatar: All the main characters are based and named for the people who created the site and write it. Most non-gaming character's are based on people the Authors are friends with.
- Ax-Crazy: Holton. After going mad, he kills multiple people in his company and eats some of them, all while screaming about the Gods' ignorance.
- Back from the Dead: Austin is resurrected after his death.
- The Twilight Archon, though it can be argued as to whether or not it was a death.
- BFG: The Experimental Mirvs.
- Big Bad: The Twilight Archon
- Sylvanis Windrunner The Banshee Queen, though not quite as much as the Archon.
- Big Damn Heroes: Aplenty
- Body Horror: The way the Swarm convert people into food producers in their warehouses.
- Car Fu: James kills the Axis' second-in-command in an unweaponized warthog jeep.
- Church Militant: While the Church of Gaming faction dosn't require everyone to be a Binarian, most are.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Swarm pumps these out.
- Their leader's true form is one too.
- Five-Man Band
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Adam is Sanguine, Austin is Choleric, Scott is Melancholic and James is Phelgmatic
- Full-Frontal Assault: Adam use to remove his pants before a fight to "prey on their fears", though he stopped after reaching a leadership role.
- Groin Attack: Austin performs one on Nathanos Blightcaller, to no effect.
- Hammerspace: Adam does not have a sheath for his crusader longsword but always has it on person.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Dillon stays behind with a bomb to ensure Gravemind can't shut it down while the others escape. He dies in the explosion of the warehouse.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs: Austin's explectives
- "Rose of Sithis"
- "Son of a Deathknight"
- Ironic Nickname: Shirley Temple, a massive zombie Tank, from the Left 4 Dead series.
- Man on Fire: Scott does this to Otis.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: Obviously
- Only One Name: Austin, Adam, Scott, James, Tristan, Domerix, Dillon...
- Our Zombies Are Different: Played straight and subverted. There are "normal" zombies that make up the bulk of the Swarm's footsoldiers, but most of them come from games with very diffrent zombies- the Flood, Fallout's Ghouls, Tanks from Left 4 Dead, Headcrabs from Half Life, Manny from Grim Fandango, Re-Dead from Legend of Zelda, and much more.
- Physical God- The Gods can be directly interacted with and even killed with rather mundane methods.
- Austin kills the God of Sport Games. With a single headshot from a handgun.
- The Multiverse: The Church of Gaming takes place in Earth-21. You're reading this from Earth-1.
- Shock and Awe: Cole.
- Shout-Out: In spades. Most are to other video games, though a few arn't
- Storming the Castle: One of the chapters in the Swarm Wars is even named "Storming the Castle"
- Tank Goodness: Winchester
- Weapon of Choice
- Boom Stick: Austin's Scepter. It can control the binary coding that makes up most objects, and can fire them as explosives.
- Drop the Hammer: James has used a hammer on more than one occasion.
- Cool Sword: Adam has a broadsword, The Twilight Archon has a swordish thing.
- As of the Uber Wars II, Austin has an Ancestral Weapon Sword and Adam has a new, even more badass sword that splits into two smaller swords at the hilt.
- Archer: Scott, like all Wump-Hunters, wields a bow. It works on Pac-Man Ghosts as well as it does on Wumpie.
- More Dakka: The majority of the Church and Axis wield Assault Rifles, including most of the Rooks.
- Sinister Scythe: Domerix uses the Dark Guan Dao. The blade can fold down from a Blade on a Stick to a scythe.
- Chainsaw Good: Alot of Church forces use Chainsaw Bayonets.