Queen of Wands
was a webcomic by Aeire that ran from 2002 to 2005. It centered around the life of Kestrel, an excitable twenty-something living in Denver, and her married roommates, Felix and Shannon. The comic itself is loosely based on the life of the artist
. After the comic completed its initial run, Aeire "reran" all of the strips with commentary added at the bottom.
Kestrel has since gone on to become a recurring character in Something Positive
, while the character Angela has her own spinoff, Punch an' Pie
Queen of Wands provides examples of:
- All Your Powers Combined:
- The Annotated Edition: It did rapid-fire annotated reruns after the comic was completed.
- Ascended Extra: Angela, an intended one-shot character who became the most important character outside of Kestrel's home.
- Big Bad: The comic didn't remotely have one, but Kestrel invoked this trope by name complaining about the way Bane was portrayed in Batman & Robin.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Of which How We Got Here below is the first instance.
- Continuity Cameo: Both Felix and Shannon make a brief appearance in Punch an' Pie with their daughter.
- Cross Over: with Something Positive.
- Cute Little Fangs: The default art style. On Angela they are extra cute though.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The Flashback scenes.
- Fiery Redhead:
- Kestrel, natch.
- And Aeire herself.
- How We Got Here: Kestrel's Flashback to how she, Shannon, and Felix got where they are — which included a Flashback-within-a-Flashback.
- Girlish Pigtails: Wannabe Wiccan Girl.
- Happily Married: Shannon and Felix.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Subverted (somewhat) with Kestrel, played straight with Shannon.
- Important Haircut: Felix (and hair de-dying.)
- Incompatible Orientation: Angela (bi) is attracted to Kestrel (straight).
- Leet Lingo: The use of which is vilified.
- Look Both Ways: Kestrel's first appearance in Something Positive as a Boston cast member.
- Misery Poker: Against Davan from Something Positive, during a crossover.
- Only Six Faces: Possibly why the art on Punch An Pie is done by another artist- most of the female characters had identical faces with different hair. Their boss Dawna looked like all the other females, until Punch An Pie revealed that she was older and much heavier.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Kestrel and Shannon go shopping for these in an early arc.
- Spin-Off: Angela goes on to Punch an' Pie.
- Spork: The Grammar Spork(tm) — just ten pounds of pressure and you'll no longer be troubled by bad grammar and atrocious spelling!
- To the Batpole!: Kestrel has an...interesting theory on this◊.
- Transplant: Kestrel, to Something Positive.
- Vagina Dentata: What a wonderful phrase...
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Felix, on occasion.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Felix. Eventually he went back to his natural blond.