"Because you can't lie or hide your heart when drawing... just like mine or your paintings, my heart is the same as yours."
(핑크레이디) is a Korean Web Toon
created by Yeon Woo and Seo Na in 2007 and is hosted by Naver. The story is split into five "seasons", and is followed by a two-part side-story featuring two side characters. Notable for its realistic artwork and references to classic artwork, Pink Lady
achieved massive popularity on Naver and was published in print by Joongong. The audio company Howling has also released a drama CD for the series. Though the original comic has ended since 2009, the series is continued through a spin-off titled Pink Lady Classic
, which documents Gyeowul and Hyeonseok's adventures through famous paintings and notable historical art periods.
The story follows 23-year-old Han Gyeowul, an art student at Hongik University, who instantly develops a dislike for her classmate, Yun Hyeonseok. To her surprise, Hyeonseok turns out to be her First Love
in her childhood who unexpectedly moved away, and he is still in love with her years after their separation. The two begin dating and continue their art careers together, only to realize that someday they must choose between their love or their jobs in order to succeed in their path.
The webtoons can be viewed on Naver's website
. Initially, due to contract reasons with Naver, the comics weren't allowed to be translated for redistribution, but fortunately, Naver has let up on that: there's now an authorized unofficial English translation
Not to be confused with the American variety show
featuring the Japanese pop duo of the same name.
This series contains examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: An Origins Issue about Yeongbo and Seonil's past was told in two parts following the end of the original Pink Lady series.
- Absolute Cleavage: A rare male version can be seen in one of Subeom's outfits.
- Ambiguously Gay: Subeom, though any of Hyeonseok's co-workers may qualify.
- Art Imitates Art
- Bare Your Midriff: Subeom's red top in Season 5 Part 5.
- Beta Couple: Yeongbo and Seonil.
- Bishounen: Subeom is really feminine-looking to the point that Hyeonseok and Seonil can't really tell if he's a girl or a guy.
- But Not Too Foreign: Hyeonsuk's cousin, Carnille Claudel/Bogyeong, is presumably half-Korean and half-European.
- Career Versus Man: The main conflict in the series, though a non-domestic version. Gyeowul and Hyeonseok must choose between their jobs or their relationship, as either one will severely impact the other.
- Dogged Nice Girl: Yeongbo is this for Seonil.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Subeom is easily mistaken for a girl.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Gyeowul over Hyeonseok in the earlier chapters. Later, Seonil becomes one when he gets upset about Yeongbo modeling for Subeom's painting.
- Laugh Themselves Sick: Subeom can't control his laugh when Yeongbo tells him about her past with Seonil... specifically when he tripped and squished her dog under his weight.
- Love Dodecahedron: Gyeowul and Hyeonseok love each other, but Seonil likes Gyeowul while Yeongbo likes Seonil. Seonil later comes to return Yeongbo's crush on him, though he's now under the impression that they're in a Love Triangle with Subeom.
- Mistaken for Gay: There's a really hilarious moment where Subeom asks Hyeonseok to be his model, but Hyeonseok misinterprets his offer as a Love Confession and runs away.
- Mr. Fanservice: Subeom. Check out some of the outfits he wears...
- The Napoleon: Gyeowul.
- Old Flame
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Gyeowul is often depicted in pink clothing (naturally) while Hyeonseok is often in blue clothing.
- Pink Means Feminine
- Stalker with a Crush: Seonil can be seen as one for Gyeowul.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Hyeonseok and Subeom.
- Title Drop: In Season 1, Hyeonseok mixes a drink especially with Gyeowul in mind: the Pink Lady.
- The Scream: Right when Hyeonseok basically insults Gyeowul, there's a Funny Background Event where a man moves a painting to reveal Edvard Munch's classic as a precursor for Gyeowul's Unstoppable Rage.
- Shout-Out: Lots of homages to famous paintings are made throughout the series.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Literally. Gyeowul's not afraid to smack Hyeonseok whenever she thinks he's out of line.
- Smoking Is Cool: Seonil takes on smoking due to stress after he failed his first entrance exam.
- Tsundere: Gyeowul starts out as a Type A for Hyeonseok but mellows into Type B after Season 1.