Webcomic / Hazard's Wake
is a fantasy webcomic
drawn in an Animesque
style that takes place in an RPG
world with a hell of a lot of characters
The series seems to jump back and forth from AffectionateParody
to epic fantasy story. The story boils down to the individual adventures of the groups while parodying a lot of old RPGs (the old Final Fantasys
seem to be the most frequent targets, including an obvious Tellah vs. Golbez expy
) but seems to tie into a demon's plot to unlock the sealed northern continent of 'Hazard's Wake'
The huge cast includes:
- Fatima, a near peerless swords-woman with limited Light ETHER (aka Light Magic) who is ostensibly the main character.
- Kevinsky, local meta-guy, a captain of the guards turned pirate turned mercenary.
- Araceli, a Shy Blue-Haired Girl who has been locked in a tower with ghosts most of her life. She has dreams of monsters who refer to her as the "Eye of the Dark God."
- Solaria, a Holy Knight who uses Sky ETHER to speed her movements. She seems to hide her emotions unless she becomes overly frustrated.
- Milliene, a Psi Knight who lost her memories while overusing her powers. Seems rather attached to Solaria.
- Cress, a Demon Hunter who can use fire elemental attacks but isn't quite able to understand his odd new companions.
- Maple, a powerful healer thanks to her water ETHER, also seems to live in her own reality sometimes.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Many. Fatima and Solaria are the first that come to mind.
- Aerith and Bob: Goes from Malbez and Exor on the Aerith side to Alexander and James on the Bob side.
- Anti-Magic: Both Shin and Kelios have a skill that negates magical attacks. Nifty.
- Calling Your Attacks: Both spells and special attacks always fall into this. Either the character will say it or a bubble will appear labeling the attack, as well as what elemental ETHER it is.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Maple is in her own little world... usually thinking about romance in ways far from rational.
- Combat Tentacles: Krakenhead, appropriately enough.
- Demon Slaying: Cress is of the Church Militant version.
- Functional Magic: It's called ETHER, and is based on an eight-element system.
- Kid Hero: Hiro. He's not exactly the savior that people thought he'd be.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: So many, in fact, that it gets confusing, until they're eventually sorted into a Four Lines, All Waiting deal.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Maple, in her own mind.
- Mentor Occupational Hazard: Victor.
- Meta Guy: Kevinsky snarks on anything and everything that he can and seems to be semi-aware that he's a comic character.
- New First Comics: The author has redrawn a few of the early strips.
- Painting the Medium: "She PRONOUNCED a HEART SYMBOL!"
- Rebellious Princess: This seems to be Aileen in a nutshell.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Fluffy's entire reason for being.
- RPG-Mechanics Verse: Light hints of this, but usually woven into the story in a way so it doesn't look too jarring. Usually.
- Shrinking Violet: Araceli.
- Stripped to the Bone: Victor's death at the hands of Xantrich.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Araceli, kind of; she's also Badass Adorable.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Happens occasionally in fight scenes.
- The Team Normal: Kevinsky again. Whether he's even useful or just there for comedic relief is debatable.
- Unsound Effect
- "*SOUND OF A MONSTROSITY EMERGING!*"
- "THE CLAW'D!"
- "*MINTY-FRESH SOUND EFFECT!*"
- "MEET A FIST!"
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Many: Fatima, Araceli, Elm, Alexander, Exor.