Webcomic / Fragile
is a (usually
) twice weekly Slice of Life
webcomic created by Shouri (of SPRINGIETTE
fame), which launched on 20th September 2011.
Twins Marian and Steph, plus their friends Jess and Karen, are about to start their final year of school. Each has definite life goals apart from Marian, who laments she has no direction in life. Then there's Emily, the new girl in town, with a very fatalistic outlook on life. As their lives entangle, the five embark on a journey of self-discovery.
Fragile contains examples of:
- Adult Fear: The source of Emily's parents anxities, due to her serious heart condition. It's more pronounced in Emily's mother Jane, leading to more friction between them than between Emily and her father, Theo.
- All Love Is Unrequited: At least in the Steph/Julian/Marian Love Triangle. Steph seems oblivious to Julian's feelings for her, and Julian in turn doesn't seem to be aware of Marian's feelings for him. Averted with Emily and Bruce, who both seem interested in each other.
- Boyish Short Hair: Karen.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Jess.
- The Comically Serious: Karen.
- Contrived Coincidence: Emily and Marian being in the same class, after Marian offends Emily by taking her picture without asking and later accidentally burns her hand while serving her drinks at The Freckled Cutie. Not only is this lampshaded by Marian, but it's a somewhat downplayed example as the seniors seem to be divided into only two classes.
- Cool Old Lady: Mamō.
- Crush Blush: Emily and Marian, whenever they're around Bruce or Julian, respectively.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Marian, especially around Julian.
- Curtains Match the Window: Marian.
- The Ditz: Marian. Often clueless, but possibly not quite in Cloud Cuckoo Lander territory.
- Everyone Can See It: Nobody is unclear as to the nature of Marian's feelings for Julian, except, of course, Julian himself. Jess lampshades this.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Marian is the Foolish Sibling to Steph's Responsibile Sibling, in so far as Steph has a fair amount more common sense than Marian.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Steph is Melancholic, Karen and Emily are Choleric, Marian is Phlegmatic, and Jess is Sanguine.
- Genki Girl: Jess.
- Girlish Pigtails: Emily.
- Ill Girl: Emily (congenital heart condition). So far she's managed to keep this a secret from the others.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: After finding out about Julian's feelings for Steph, a brokenhearted Marian decides to try and hook them up. A particularly painful example for Marian, Steph being her beloved twin sister.
- The Lad-ette: Karen shows signs of this, as does Jess in a different direction. Neither has reached full status yet.
- Love Triangle: hints of one developing with Bruce, Marian and Emily (Bruce —> Emily, possibility of Marian —> Bruce now she's determined to wean herself off Julian). A potential Type 4: Steph <—> Julian <— Marian has probably been avoided.
- Jerkass: Emily can be that way, in a 'if I can't be happy' mentality. Marian seems to be unconsciously working to break that part of her down.
- Jerkass Has a Point: She's not a Jerkass per se, but Karen did have a point about Jess not taking things about their music seriously at all, which is the main cause of them breaking off.
- Manipulative Bitch: Emily veers close to this territory, when she encourages Marian to try and find out if Julian likes her while dressed up as Steph, knowing that Julian is actually interested in Steph, in order to hurt Marian.
- Multicolored Hair: Karen (black hair, blue bangs), Jess (ginger hair, red ponytail).
- Must Make Amends: Marian after accidentally burning Emily.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Emily, though this may be more for warmth than being proper in any way, given her condition.
- Rapunzel Hair: Marian, Emily.
- The Reliable One: Karen.
- Skirt Over Shorts: Jess wears bike shorts under her school skirt, which are longer than the skirt.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Jess.
- The Tragic Rose: Emily.
- Twin Switch: Marian once pretended to be Steph without her sister's knowledge to find out about Julian's feelings.
- Unfamiliar Ceiling: Volume 2 starts this way with Emily, with her reacting to it as being a common event for her.
- When She Smiles: A hint of this can be seen from Karen during the concert she and Jess attend and she seems to relax for a few minutes. Also applies to Emily, as seen here. Bruce also lampshades it.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: Marian.