Webcomic / Epiphany
follows Eli, a young boy in his first year of high school, through his life with his friends, his distant preacher father, and the Popularity Food Chain
Oh, and there's also some subplot about duality, the major religion of this universe, and the two gods who created the world, and the fact that (spoiler) one may still be around.
A rather slow paced comic that nonetheless builds up to a very strong plot and offers a more realistic view of how a world of anthropomorphic animals would function and even come to be.
Showcases a realistic set of characters with a subtle sense of humor mixed in with some bigger laugh-out-loud moments, with a very unique art style.
This series provides examples of:
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Eli's dad is fixed from Oscar's perspective, at least!
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: In ancient times, a cult of Rabbits tried to contact one of the spirits through the sacrifice of several wolves. When one of then (Oscar) really came and found out about this, he became extremely disgusted and tried to lecture them about their immorality. However, when the druid of the cult angrily accused him of being a "False Spirit" and stabbed him in the neck, Oscar kicked him across the sky.
- Came Back Wrong: Type IV. Sure, Oscar healed Eli's comatose father, but he now he's a actual deer.
- Cast of Snowflakes: Besides Eli and his dad and Andrew and his family, no two characters are the same species.
- Deadpan Snarker: Andrew. So hard.
- Epic Fail: In this strip, Oscar tries to give food to those in need. However even though he apparently makes a normal sandwich, he somehow makes it so poorly that even a homeless bum can't eat it.
- Fan Nickname: Hipster Lion for Oscar, the lion with sunglasses who happens to be a former God.
- Furry Confusion: Averted. Eli knows the difference between a "people deer" and a "deer deer". And his dad is definitely not the latter.
- God Is Flawed: The aforementioned Hipster Lion/Oscar is kind of a selfish jerk.
- Turns out that his former "partner" is even worse.
- It's All About Me: Oscar's former "partner" seems to have this point of view.
- Jerk Jock: Scott, who also qualifies as a Jerkass Woobie.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: Val has 'em.
- Oh My Gods!: Quite literally. Since the religion is based around two gods all phrases with 'God' use 'Gods'.
- Pals with Jesus: Eli and Oscar.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Oscar after "curing" Eli's dad. Combined very unsettlingly with a Slasher Smile.
- Shout-Out: President Bird is on their money!
- Stealth Pun: The author loves these.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 2, Page 37 in which Eli's dad is hit by a truck.
- Or how about when Eli bursts into flames and sees into forever? That's where it goes from "slice of life with funny animals" to... something else entirely.
- Wreathed in Flames: Eli, temporarily.