Webcomic / Around The Block
Around The Block
Rooming with two old friends seemed like a good idea at the time, but Nase quickly discovered that his laidback lifestyle clashed with the daily shenanigans that happen on Floor 5 at 115 Green Lane.
is a Slice of Life
webcomic drawn by Nase, written by Gata, and co-written/edited by Niv. It focuses on the (admittedly rather crazy) daily antics of Nase and his fellow residents of the apartment complex on 115 Green Lane. The main characters are Nase, Gata and Niv, and they are surrounded by a supporting cast of characters like Dregan, Haru and Tim.
Around The Block differs from most Slice of Life
comics in that none of the cast actually lives close to one another. However, they are all friends on Skype and a lot of the material presented in the comic comes from the conversations they have with one another. Most of the characters' personalities are also taken Up to Eleven
from the people they're based off of.
It is hosted on Smackjeeves
, and can be found here.
Around The Block contains examples of:
- Adorkable: Dregan. Maybe Tim.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: The Halloween update was rather... sudden.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: One of Dregan's experiments turns Gata into a giant.
- Author Avatar: Nase, Niv and Gata. Nase has been shown drawing the comic on occasion, and Gata abused his position as the main writer to get tickets for the concert of a person he admires.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Haru is heavily implied to be one, between is dialogue and his title as “The Bitch Breaker.”
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Tim, notably as seen in his introduction.
- Designated Girl Fight: Referenced mostly by name here, but ultimately defied (aside from an Imagine Spot).
- Fanboy: Gata is one of Beth Wesker.
- Flanderization: As mentioned, everyone in the comic is essentially this of their real life counterparts.
- For Science!: Dregan.
- Harsh Word Impact: Niv forgetting Nase's birthday has this effect on him.
- Imagine Spot: Tim's introduction arc is essentially one long version of this. Plus, one of Punkadora's mooks imagining Niv VS Punkadora as catgirls.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Niv has a tendency to adopt random animals.
- Interactive Narrator: The characters have been shown interacting with the narrator, and on one occasion Haru even bribes it to insult Gata.
- Jerkass: Haru can be a bit of one at times. Just a bit. So can Tsu.
- Never Live It Down: In-universe. Whatever Tim did involving dogs and staircases has led Niv to not trust him around animals.
- No Fourth Wall: The entire comic basically, but notably this page.
- Noodle Incident: Whatever caused Niv to try to protect the dog she brought home from Tim because of the amount of stairs in the building.
- Only Sane Man: Nase and Zman, especially in the face of everyone else's antics.
- Shipper on Deck: NIV.
- Team Pet: Niv's pet dog and Nase's pet rabbit.
- Visual Pun: When Niv mentions she thought that she'd fight the girl because of a designated catfight, the mook she's fighting pictures her and his boss dressed like cats.
- Zany Scheme: Most of the storylines involve one of these, especially when Dregan is involved.