Web Video: Target Women
Target Women is a segment of the web channel Current hosted by Sarah Haskins. In it, she looks at commercials featuring women and products for women and the stereotypes of women that they present. Far from the dry, academic analysis so common to feminist critiques, Sarah's style is lighthearted, snarky and humorous.
Target Women provides examples of:
- Adorkable - Sarah Haskins
- All Girls Want Bad Boys - Discussed in Vampires.
- All Women Are Prudes - Discussed in Birth Control and Your Garden.
- Barbie - Discussed
- Body Horror: The "lump" discussion in "Botox."
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick:The next time words fail you in trying to describe your genitalia, just turn to the world of nature: my chia pet, my fern, my gentle alpaca, my sarlacc pit from Return of the Jedi.
- Bumbling Dad: Discussed and deconstructed in Doofy Husbands. She even notes that he was cooler before "he married you and now he's slightly dumber than a dog".
- Chick Flick - Discussed
- Closer to Earth - Discussed in Doofy Husbands.
- Deadpan Snarker - Sarah Haskins
- Damsel in Distress - Discussed in Story Time and Broadview Security."You may call these commercials, but I like to call them 'rape fables'."
- Disney Princesses - Discussed
- Double Standard - The focus of the show is double standards in media.
- Furry Fandom - The subject of a joke in Lifetime.
- Genre Savvy - Sarah Haskins
- Here Comes the Science
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Jonah Ray Showed up a couple times, presumably as Sarah's boyfriend.
- Info Dump: The woman in the Yaz commercials who "casually" rattles off information and health warnings about the product to her friends in a nightclub, who is mocked in "Birth Control" and returns in "Ladyfriends."
- Lifetime Movie of the Week - Also discussed
- Male Gaze - Discussed in the Carl's Junior and How to Get Hot Chicks.Sarah: The recent Carl's Jr. ad campaign could easily be called "Douchebaggery 101: Embracing your inner douche". It's a follow-up to "AP Objectification".
- Men Buy from Mars, Women Buy from Venus - The focus of the show.
- Nerds Are Sexy - Also Sarah
- Nobody Poops: "Number Two" is about companies' attempts to market laxatives and stool softeners to women without admitting that they poop. "You're Old" also discusses incontinence."Let's jump on the euphemism train to Shittown! First stop, Fiberville!"
- No Periods, Period: "Yes, milk will also bring sunshine to a land devastated by your period tears."
- Robot Girl/Uncanny Valley: The "clone woman" in "Skin Care.""But can a robot lady learn... to love?"
- Serious Business: Hair.
- Ship Tease - With one of the guys from her show.
- Shorttank - Sarah Haskins
- Sophisticated as Hell: The "Women are Pretty" compilation has quotations on ladylike behavior between segments from people like Emily Post and Lord Byron, plus this:If you a fly gal,
Get your nails done,
Get a pedicure,
Get your hair did.
- Stay in the Kitchen: "Feeding Your Fucking Family" and "Cleaning."
- Valley Girl: The persona she puts on in "Back to School", who happens to be a Totally Radical Rule-Abiding Rebel type.