An upcoming novel set in the Dragon Age
universe, written by Liane Merciel (author of The River Kings' Road
) and due to be released on September 16, 2014. The plot follows Valya, a young elven mage recently recruited into the Grey Wardens
, who researches the less glorious aspects of her order's past—particularly connected to the diary of Issenya, one of the last of the fabled Grey Warden griffon riders who fought in the Fourth Blight.
The novel is expected to tie in with Dragon Age: Inquisition
, alongside Asunder
and The Masked Empire
Tropes found in the novel include:
- Action Girl: Issenya was one, Valya is probably one, as well.
- Badass Bookworm: Valya is a Grey Warden (read: a badass by definition) who is tasked with researching the Wardens' archives. She came from a Circle of Magi, where literacy is par for the course .
- Broken Pedestal: Valya seems to believe (like most Thedosians) that all Grey Wardens are Knights In Shining Armor, but her research proves her very, very wrong.
- Na´ve Newcomer: By the time the story starts, Valya is a teenager not even past her Joining.
- Our Gryphons Are Different: LF seems to be the first DA installment where the griffons are described in detail. As they are (supposedly) extinct in the time frame of the games, they have only ever been mentioned in passing before.
- Supporting Protagonist: Issenya was the sister of Garahel, the elven hero who ended the Fourth Blight by slaying Archdemon Andoral.