"What of it? Any oaths I swore to Galefrid died when he did".
This book contains examples the following Tropes.
- Action Girl: Bitharn, though she straddles the line between Faux Action Girl. She does win an archery tournament. Kelland intentionally keeps her out of the battle with Severine
- Everybody's Dead, Dave: Brys to Odosse, on why she can't go back to Willowfield.
- I Did What I had To Do: Brys, Leferic, and Albric claim this in some form or another.
- I Shall Taunt You: Severine, to Kelland. He doesn't take it well.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Kelland. At least, everyone thinks of him as one. He thinks of himself as untested.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Brys. He may have been knighted by Galefrid, but Galefrid is dead. He still finds himself protecting Odosse and Wistan.
- ThePlan: Leferic gets a neat one at the end.