The Kitten Academy is a kitten-fostering organization run by a couple in Illinois. Chris (Mister Academy) and Deepa (DJ) Jansen are Kindhearted Cat Lovers who've turned two rooms in their house into "classrooms" for kittens to learn how to cat. They host a YouTube livestream that runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in both rooms (provided they have enough kittens to populate both). Saturdays at 10 a.m. KATZ (Kitten Academy Time Zone; that is, Central Time) they host a special Mailbag where they open up letters and gifts sent to the kittens by their dedicated fans.IMPORTANT NOTE: The Kitten Academy has a "No Sads" policy, and that extends to this page. Please do not post Tearjerker tropes here. The 'Academy isn't about that.The Kitten Academy website can be found here: Kitten.AcademyTheir YouTube channel is here: KittenAcademy LivestreamTheir Twitter account is @kitten_academy.
Kitten Academy contains examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Mr. Academy gives the faculty cats, momcats, and kittens Affectionate Nicknames, usually by appending "bean" to the end of the cat's name. Examples are Loganberry being Loganbean or Loganbunny, and Custard being Custaru. DJ names them; Mr. Academy nicknames them.
- Bald of Awesome: Mr. Academy.
- Boarding School: The Kitten Academy is themed like this, with the kittens being the students and the academy fosters' pets being the faculty. The kittens graduate after they receive their spay/neuter, first shots, and microchips.
- Cute Kitten: Naturally!
- Fake Pregnancy: In late 2017, the Academy had a rash of supposed "momcats" who turned out to not be pregnant at all. One (Filbert) was actually male, while a couple others (Cashew and Quiche) were just pudgy. Yet another one never even made it onto the livestream before the ruse was discovered. KA fans went along with the fun, claiming that the Academy was so much fun that cats were faking pregnancies to get in.
- Family Theme Naming: Each class of kittens is given a name based on their mother's name. Some recent examples are Ivy League colleges, fonts, fish, textiles, musical instruments, dances, French desserts, chili ingredients, trees, scientific units of measurement, and bathtime.
- Fan Speak: The fosters and fans of the Kitten Academy have a growing list of words and phrases...
- "A door bell": Adorable
- "Adooter": Adopter
- "Cutting onions": When Mr. A or DJ get overcome with emotion and tear up. Tears of Joy, of course, since the Kitten Academy has No Sads. This generally happens during the mailbag, when a fan sends in a heartfelt letter.
- "Dide": A misspelling of "died," which is short for } "That was so cute I died".
- "Hisses get kisses": If a kitten hisses at another, or at Mr. A or DJ, it gets picked up and kissed as a form of gentle discipline.
- "Sboogles": Hugs and kisses.
- "Shakashaka (cat's name)": When a cat repeatedly paws or scratches at a glass door, window, or mirror, usually while standing on its back legs. Shakashaka Ari!
- "Why are you the way you are, (cat's name)?": Used when a cat is acting especially silly.
- Fanfic: KA fan Wombat has written several Fanfics starring successive classes of kittens. They can be read here.
- Fourth-Wall Mail Slot: The Saturday morning Mailbag sessions.
- Happy Place: Many Kitten Academy fans consider the livestream their Happy Place.
- Hero of Another Story: The good folks at On Angels' Wings, the nearby animal-rescue center that handles adoptions for the Academy and provides them with new kittens and/or momcats.
- Jingle: Sarah Donner, an indie singer-songwriter and dedicated KA fan, has written and recorded a jingle for the Saturday Mailbag videos.Kitten Academy
Is where you want to be
When you are a cat
On a Saturday
They can contemplate
Time for the... Mail-baaaaaag
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Comes with the territory.
- Meat Puppet: Of the most adorable variety! When a kitten is adopted, Mr. A holds them up to one of the webcams and jiggles their paw to make them look like they're waving goodbye to the fans.
- Older Than They Look: One of the momcats, Roux, was small and dainty enough to have easily passed for a kitten herself. (She was estimated to be less than a year old when she arrived, so she was technically a kitten.)
- P.O.V. Cam: The "Kitten Close Up" streams, in which Mr. Academy narrates short (usually 20 minutes long) videos of the kittens taken with his smartphone.
- Pungeon Master: Mr. Academy, when narrating the Close Up and Mailbag videos.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The kittens, of course! And the momcats. And the faculty cats. And Elsie.
- Signing Off Catchphrase: At the end of every Kitten Close Up video, Mr. Academy reminds viewers, "If you want to keep watching these kittens, you can tune in to the regular Kitten Academy livestream right here on YouTube."
- Then, as the camera focuses on one kitten or cat, "Say goodbye, (name of cat)." And, finally, "Goodbye, everybody."
- The Faceless: Mr. Academy, when he does the mailbags on Saturday mornings. In order to keep the focus on the gifts and the kittens playing around him, we usually only see him from the mid-chest down.
- The Voice:
- Mr. Academy typically provides off-camera narration for the Kitten Close Up streams.
- DJ during the Saturday mailbags. She's usually off-camera, her presence indicated by her voice alone.