Web Video / Demyx Time
A Vlog Series
on youtube about the hijinks of Alternate Character Interpretation
versions of Demyx, Axel and other members of Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts
. The show was originally like a vlog in format but later episodes grew some seriously dramatic plots, with a few random videos thrown in in between full episodes. Between hilarious hijinks, and gobs of Ho Yay
, the show got enough popularity to warrant it's own panel at Metrocon twice.
Since its debut, the show has expanded the cast from Demyx and Axel to the entire organization, and occasionally Namine and Sora. It's also changed its format from a talk show/vlog series to a kind of sitcom spiced with affectionate parodies.
This show provides examples of:
- Acting for Two: Jenn "jenxthejinx" and Kelly both play multiple characters.
- Affectionate Parody:
- Anything That Moves: Axel is implied to be this, but we never see it in the show.
- Xigbar, most certainly, to the point of Extreme Omnisexual. It's a wonder anyone wants to sleep with him.
- Big Bad: Xigbar in Episode 9, who antagonizes Demyx, Axel, and Vexen during the "Freaky Friday" Flip.
- Berserk Button: Quite a few.
- For Saix (especially when he's the Oblivion High English teacher), claiming Twilight is literature. Memetic Mutation to follow.
- For Demyx, making the Organization diet, or killing his beloved Heartless, Chester, with a Keyblade.
- Don't drink all of Luxord's rum. Even if you are his past self.
- Bishounen: Even in the original Kingdom Hearts games it's hard to tell which members of the organization are male, but more often than not the female cosplayers look more like the game visuals than the guys.
- Especially Demyx. It's pretty uncanny. (No, not that kind of uncanny.)
- Spoofed when Demyx thinks that Larxene is a man because everybody else is.
- Black Comedy Rape: Heavily implied in episode 9.
- Brain Bleach: Implied when Axel discovers that Larxene slept with Xigbar (along with most of the rest of the Organization).
Larxene: *nods* Uh-huh.
Axel: Tell you what, I'll be back in about a half an hour, there's some stuff I really, quite desperately need to bleach, so if you would please—*leaves the room followed by screams of pain*
- Catch Phrase: Stop! Demyx Time!
- "Dude!" - Xigbar
- "Kingdom Hearts!" - Xemnas
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Demyx
- Digital Piracy Is Evil: A variation in Episode 12: when Headmaster Xemnas is showing the school inspector around Oblivion High, they happen upon Xigbar trying to order tickets for his entire class to see Toy Story 3 in 3D, and even asking if they can have a video camera during the show. (It's not like he's a film teacher.)
- Xigbar is later fired, after Xemnas announces that he will have to sack one teacher, and he allows science-teacher Vexen to do the honors.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Where do we begin...
- Marly makes everyone go on a diet...so Demyx cooked his roses in revenge.
- Never, ever piss off Vexen. By doing so you risk being relieved of your bones, or worse...your DNA.
- Demyx sings "If You Were Gay" to Zexion, who is insulted because he thinks Demyx is making unwanted insinuations about him, and he runs off crying.
- Demyx doesn't get to go on a beach trip in episode 2, since Axel took his name off the list. So, in episode 3, Axel gets subjected to "What Demyx Found In The Other Guys' Rooms," for which Demyx reveals that Axel does...bad things...to a Roxas plushie. THEN, in episode 4, Demyx debuts "Demyx's Revenge," for which he reveals a fake news article (in full screen) announcing Axel's arrest for pedo-leeching Roxas.
- The Ditz: Demyx
- The Dragon: Saix
- Xigbar believes he's this.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Axel likes to mock Marluxia for it. Inverted when Demyx thinks Larxene is a man.
- Everyone Is Gay: Or bi, or transgender (the post-script bit at the end of the final episode reveals a stubble-faced "Manxene.")
- Fanservice: Demy Short: Faith had Demyx and Axel dancing around together on a comfy looking bed with unbuttoned shirts.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: The four characters with the most screentime:
- Sanguine: Demyx
- Choleric: Axel
- Melancholic: Vexen
- Phlegmatic: Xigbar
- Flanderization: In favor of comedy.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: Episode nine.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: (singsong voice) "The Orgy Meetings!"
- Hates Being Touched: Zexion, who also hates being spoken to, or interacted with in any way.
- As a result, he feels the need to sleep in a different bedroom each night, so nobody can find him.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Larxene when Axel breaks her hair.
- Het Is Ew: Practically a given, see Everyone Is Gay above.
- Homosexual Reproduction: According to the post-script at the end of episode 15, Xigbar gave birth to Xemnas' son, Pickle. He's an Ambiguously Brown baby doll with scars and an eye patch.
- Hostile Show Takeover: Axel does this in Episode
Eight Axel. Then Marluxia and Larxene come in and take the show from Axel.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Luxord is notoriously alcoholic. How so? When he brought in his past self to cook alongside him, Past!Luxord kept drinking all the whiskey in the pot when Present!Luxord wasn't looking, much to the latter's consternation.
- Insane Troll Logic: "I think...Roxas should be renamed Biff... so then Demyx can visit Biff's room, because Biff is allowed visitors...and Roxas is not."
- Innocent Innuendo: The bouncy bed game really is just bouncing on the bed.
- Also... Smegma. Not at all innocent.
- Life Imitates Art: Jenn started Demyx Time to catch the eye of Kelly, who she fancied. Then their characters (Demyx and Axel, respectively) on the show got increasingly more amounts of Ho Yay after they got together.
- Missing Steps Plan: In the Axel episode, Marluxia describes this strategy as his "foolproof" way to take over the organization.
- Trouble is, he still has no Step Two finalized...
- No Periods, Period: Inverted. An early arc involves Demyx trying to figure out what a tampon is. It doesn't end well.
- And later he discusses Larxene's "airplane sticker" collection.
Axel: Remember those tampons of Larxene's?
Axel: That's for the same sort of thing.
- Number Two: Xigbar is technically Number II in the organization, and he likes to pull rank on Demyx and Vexen, stating "I'm number 2" in order to get what he wants. He dislikes Saix for taking his place as Xemnas's right hand man.
- Original Character: The Fridge Goblin.
- Panty Shot: The scene where Saix's cloak was stolen, and he has to run around covering up with a cardboard box...
- Punctuated Pounding: In episode twelve: TWI! LIGHT! ISN'T! LITERATURE!
- Punch Clock Villain: According to this interpretation, all the Organization XIII members are rather goofy in their free time.
- Rule of Funny
- Scooby Stack: Used during the Benny Hill-style chase sequence in Episode 13.
- Separated by a Common Language: Nobody is able to understand Luxord, apparently just because he's British.
Marluxia: Don't talk Greek to me! What'd you say about my mum
- Even weirder when you remember the whole thing is done in England.
- Serious Business: Food for Demyx. He is ROYALLY PISSED when Marluxia manages to force the whole Organization to diet, and he deliberately and joyfully eats sweets on camera, then proceeds to boil Marluxia's flowers in revenge.
- All this before he had a semi-regular section on "Mar-Mar Abuse..."
- Shout-Out: Many reference/parodies thrown into episodes, such as lines from Night at The Museum 2, South Park, and Family Guy.
- Snipe Hunt: The aforementioned "headlight fluid" gag, which also includes elbow grease. Axel wanted Demyx out of the way so he could host the show for one episode. Specifically, Episode 8, which is Axel's Organization number.
- Straight Gay: Even though Roxas and Axel being lovers in Episode Twelve isn't much of a surprise, Roxas still acts the least camp of the Organization.
- Take That: TWILIGHT ISN'T LITERATURE!
- Techno Babble: Vexen uses this.
- The Other Darrin: Any characters other than Demyx and Axel can switch actors without the fandom caring all that much, even though it is obvious.
- It's justified because Jenn and Kelly can only play so many parts in one scene, so episodes featuring more of the Organization require the help of other cosplayers.
- The One Guy: As of episode 14, the only male cast members are Roxas, Luxord, and Lexaeus.
- The Smurfette Principle: Larxene and Xion are the only girls. inverted in regard to the cast.
- Trilogy Creep: Kind of. There were originally going to be only thirteen episodes, one for each Organization member. Then Xion was revealed, and it expanded to fourteen. Now there will be fifteen as a reward to the fans for giving them money to get to Metrocon.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: The characters are fairly easy to follow. The actors... not so much. Between giving multiple characters different actors, and the voices the actors use, even long-time viewers can get confused.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Jenn seems to be trying to hide her normal British accent as much as possible when doing her distinctively squeaky "Dem-Dem voice." It fails so miserably that it doesn't sound like any accent anymore.
- Jenn also seems to be going for some kind of Southern California "surfer-dude" accent when playing Xigbar. Again, it doesn't come off well.
- What's funny is that Jen's Xigbar voice is her real voice, just with a Totally Radical edge to it.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Averted at the beginning of this video.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Namine In-Universe, as Demyx finds out upon pilfering her sketchbook for "What Demyx Found In The Other Guys' Rooms."
All I can say is this. Why, Namine? Why?
Didn't know Donald liked Goofy in that way.
My entire childhood has just been corrupted!