Web Video: Chad Matt And Rob
Chad, Matt and Rob
refers to a group of filmmakers based in Los Angeles known for their numerous shorts that blend comedy with horror, adventure, sci-fi and fantasy.
The group was formed in 2007 by Chad Villella, Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Rob Polonsky. Their breakout short, the found footage style "Alien Roommate Prank Goes Bad" was released in February 2008 and has received over 30,000,000 hits.
In November 2008 the trio started posting a series of Choose Your Own Adventure
style films on YouTube
, called "Interactive Adventures." The films made use of YouTube
's annotations to allow the viewer to choose between possible outcomes depending on which annotation they clicked. Their first interactive film, "The Time Machine," is considered to be the first interactive movie on YouTube
; it was featured in the Wall Street Journal and on Attack of the Show!
Between November 2008 and January 2011, the group produced five different interactive adventures:
- The Time Machine (November 2008) - Chad, Matt and Rob are just trying to get to a meeting on time, the trio end up dodging government agents, a dragon and zombies in a mad dash to get to the meeting without getting killed.
- The Murder (March 2009) - While filming a short, the trio witness a murder and must decide how to proceed. This is the longest of the Interactive Adventures, with three unique story lines and over 30 separate segments.
- The Birthday Party (January 2010) - The trio picks a bad place to park for their boss's birthday party, and must run from a gang, dodge demons in a haunted hospital and save a kidnapped heiress from an urban militia, all while trying to make it to their boss's birthday party alive.
- The Teleporter (November 2010) - When Rob steals a teleporter from aliens, Chad, Matt and Rob are on the run from an angry UFO that wants its property back. This was made in conjunction with Unilever to promote a line of AXE shampoo products, and has three storylines and a total of 10 segments.
- The Treasure Hunt (January 2011) - Getting to Happy Hour alive is easier said than done when Rob steals a Treasure Map and the trio have to battle a treasure hunter and escape the desert with their lives.
In 2011, Rob Polonsky left the group and the remaining four changed their name to Radio Silence. The new group created a short for the 2012 American anthology horror film V/H/S
Their "Interactive Adventures" and other shorts can still be seen on their YouTube
This series provides examples of: