Web Original / Air Heads
An ongoing online story produced by Jessica Lush, a budding writer who can currently be found on fictionpress.net under the pseudonym "Angel-Hina".
series of works chronicling the daily life of Julia Lind, a depressed, but thoughtful, open-minded bibliophile
striving to shed the frivolous labels she received at the peak of her popularity throughout middle school, alongside her two cousins, Mateo, a 13 year old amateur filmmaking enthusiast and Claudia, a cynical, quick-witted, 15 year old skeptic who's "so over high school".
As she endeavors to craft an authentic identity, she distances herself from the mainstream, as well as past friendships
and Love Interests
while being conflicted between maintaining a close relationship with a naïve and impractical longtime best friend and gradually establishing a new one with a jocular, witty
new girl who threatens to strives coax Julia out of her out of her shell.
As she embraces her introverted personality and slowly adjusts to the role of the observer, Julia tries to conceal her fear for the impending future by engrossing herself within a world of fiction and literature, while recording her insights within multiple diaries and letters she exchanges with a frequent poster on an anonymous online blog. She develops an intense, questionably romantic friendship with Christopher, a lighthearted, soft-spoken loner and fellow student librarian burdened by the circumstances of his parent’s alcoholism and dysfunctional relationship who is looking to project a false smile to detract attention from his struggles.
The series centers around Julia’s perspective and the mishaps she encounters alongside a group of very different teens whom, while having conflictive personas and hail from different backgrounds and home lives, try to understand and transcend true-to-life situations that don't always have happy endings.
This series contains examples of:
- Art Initiates Life: played with in an episode where Koby sketches an alter ego who turns on to be Cuteand Psycho and goes on a bullying rampage with the rest of the students.
- Characterization Marches On:
- Crowd Song: Parodied in the Teen Fiasco special, which poked fun at the phenomenally popular High School Musical and had the characters
- Double Aesop: much of the series is structured into hour long episodes broken into at least two different storylines.
- Dream Within a Dream:
- Dysfunctional Families
- Four Girl Ensemble: Julia, Lydia, Lucy, and Vanessa.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble:
- Melancholic: Lydia, Claudia, Phoebe, Demetri, Bianca, Renee, Wesley, Rose, and Emma.
- Phlegmatic: Julia, Mateo, Elly, Karlie, Karin, Joshua, Rebecca, Koby, Aaron, Lindsay, and Dana
- Sanguine: Chris, Lucy, Vanessa, Rami, Nora, Nellie, Angelica, Jacqueline, Keira, and Abigail
- Choleric: Audrey, Keegan, Cassandra, Gabriel, Caleb, Tricia, Colin, and Pandora.
- High-School Dance: subverted in that Jade proposes an “anti-prom” costume party to the student council while trying to deal with not having a date.
- Hormone Addled Teenagers
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming the titles of the series’ episodes each begin with “When…”
- Most Writers Are Writers: the protagonist of the series is a budding author who anonymously publishes her thoughts on an anonymous online blog.
- Parental Substitute: Julia finds something of a fatherly figure in her Cool Uncle Alberto.
- Sex Montage: in season 4, during an episode which strangely featured several of the show’s couples engaged in sexual activities, while Lucy’s watching television and eating JELL-O. Also played with in an episode where Koby, Simon, and Becca try to estimate how many people are potentially having orgasms at the moment…
- The Ghost: Julia’s father, who left her mother a few months after she was born for unknown reasons and hasn’t been heard of since.
- True Companions: pretty much the entire main cast of Airheads! falls into this trope.
- Two-Teacher School: averted, considering that there are actually loads and loads of teachers introduced throughout the series.
- Wild Teen Party: Cassandra throws a legendary one in mid-season 2.
- Five-Man Band:
- Five-Man Band (Graduates):
- Four-Philosophy Ensemble:
- The Optimist: Chris/ Keegan/ Lucy/ Rami
- The Cynic: Claudia/ Cassandra
- The Realist: Julia/ Jade/ Mateo / Karin
- The Apathetic: Derek
- The Conflicted: Renee