Liero is a freeware 2D shooting game by Finnish programmer Joosa Riekkinen. It can be best described as Worms
in real time. The original was discontinued after the loss of the source code in a hard drive crash, but several remakes and clones with more features have been made, with the most popular being Liero Xtreme
- Awesome, yet Impractical: Big nukes are incredibly deadly, but their fuse time makes it extremely easy to run away when playing on a non-random map.
- Bouncy weapons in general, with the arguable exceptions of zimm and bouncy larpa.
- Awesome yet Practical: Chiquita bomb, missile, larpa, doomsday, gauss gun, super shotgun.
- Bilingual Bonus: Take a guess what Liero means in Finnish.
- Booby Trap: One of the available weapons, disguised as a weapon/health crate.
- Death from Above: Larpas leave behind a lot of falling shrapnels that can be used that way.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: That behave rather like actual lasers, being hitscan and unaffected by gravity.
- Gatling Good: Minigun.
- High Pressure Blood: which can be normally maxed out at 400% of normal in version 1.33, and mods can push this over 1000%.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Players can do this very often, especially if not careful when handling powerful weapons.
- Joke Weapon: RB Rampage, an SMG firing incredibly weak rubber bullets. (Three clips are required to kill a worm).
Anonymous, liero.org.pl (about this weapon's strong points)
: Buhahahahaaaa!!! Funny?
- Kill It with Fire: Napalm, flamer.
- Lethal Joke Weapon(s): A few of them.
- The Fan. In a fashion akin to the Pyro's Airblast, you can blow aside all projectiles with mass.
- The Dirtball and Greenball. While they don't do damage in themselves, they can block explosions and be used to trap opponents in a tight spot and corner them with buried explosives.
- Ludicrous Gibs: Worms in this game splatter quite messily when killed.
- Magnetic Weapons: Gauss Gun.
- More Dakka: Several weapons allow you to simply spray bullets at high speed. The Uzi, Chaingun, and Minigun in particular allow you to spam ammunition rapidly.
- You can also set the reloading times for all weapons to 0%. This makes all single-shot weapons this.
- Nuke 'Em: The Big and Mini Nuke weapons.
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: Wounded worms bleed continuously and endlessly. Just wait a bit, and soon they will have bled more blood than they can possibly have!
- Player Guided Missile: Missile.
- Poison Mushroom: Booby Traps, see above.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Two, both are decent weapons.
- Shoutout: The Chiquita Bomb is a reference to the Banana Bomb from Worms.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Many weapons have explosive effects.
- Theres No Kill Like Overkill: Some of the weapons produce utterly thorough barrages of explosions and shrapnel. The aptly-named Hellraider explodes repeatedly as it launches, before detonating and spraying cannonballs everywhere, and these cannonballs can produce even more shrapnel. The Larpa and Bouncy Larpa leave trails of shrapnel behind as they fly.
- Step 1, 0% reload. Step 2, chiquita bomb spam.