Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport
is a fighting game written for DOS, by Argo Games, and published by Apogee Software (now 3D Realms). It was originally released as shareware, but has been freeware since 2006.
The story can be pretty well summed up by the page quote. You choose one of eight characters of various alien races (including two humans) and fight the other characters (as well as three boss enemies) for the amusement of a mysterious alien council; the winner doesn't get their home planet blown up.Needs Wiki Magic Love
- Alien Blood: Of the alien fighters, only Mouth, Toad, and Worm have blood that's some shade of red.
- Dummied Out: The hidden character Blarney can only be accessed by editing the game's .ini file and will crash the game if he's set as player 1.
- Easy-Mode Mockery: You can't fight Champion and Grand Champion in the story mode unless you play on at least Normal. If you're on Very Easy you can't fight Parasite either.
- Fighting Game
- Finishing Move: MEAT! (And occasionally FLAMBE!)
- Involuntary Battle to the Death: There's no indication the aliens had any choice in this matter.
- Ki Attacks: The humans can perform these, to help them match the natural distance attacks of the aliens.
- Mercy Rewarded: After beating an opponent, you can input a button sequence to perform a "Resurrection", reviving them and giving you some bonus points. But the move only gives them a sliver of health, so it's mainly an excuse to beat them again.
- Mini-Game: The hidden Pac-Man clone "Xac-Man", accessible by typing a code on the menu, in which you control Nick or Selena as they gather red dots and Argo Games logos while running from the other fighters.
- Off with His Head!: Every character's "Meat" move is a decapitation. Except for Grand Champion, who doesn't get one.
- Office Lady: Selena
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: Nearly every attack causes blood to spray out of the target. You can adjust the amount of blood in the game's options, or edit the .ini file to increase it even more.
- Starfish Aliens: None of the nonhuman characters even look remotely humanoid.
- Take That: This game is notorious for having "Blarney" the Dinosaur as a hidden character. He attacks by shooting hearts and can't get up if knocked down.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: After decapitating the opponent with "Meat", you can input another button sequence to torch the body with "Flambe".
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: The Grand Champion changes forms after you empty his first health bar.
MEAT! FLAMBE! VICTORY!