Xenon 2 Megablast
is a video game originally produced for the Amiga
and Atari ST
, and later converted to the IBM PC
, Sega Master System
, Sega Mega Drive
, Acorn Archimedes
and Game Boy
. The sequel to Xenon
, it was designed by the Bitmap Brothers
(although coded by The Assembly Line). It became one of their most well-known titles, and is a classic of its genre.
After the Xenites' defeat in the Galactic Conflict which took place in the first Xenon
, they have returned with a plan to wipe out the player's history by planting five bombs across space and time. The Megablaster pilot will have to fend off the bizarre wildlife around them. It is necessary to destroy the largest animal in each area as they have been fused with the bomb
; once the creature is slain, the bomb is shut off.
Famous for being one of the first video games to have a soundtrack by a well-known pop musician, in this case Bomb the Bass.
This game contains examples of:
- A Taste of Power — In the first shop, you can buy the Super Nashwan Power, which gives you fully leveled up cannons, rear cannons, and side lasers... for all of ten seconds. Several levels later you finally have enough cash to buy all this stuff for real.
- Attack Its Weak Point
- A Winner Is You — There is no ending. After defeating the fifth beast, you end up back at the shop screen, and the shop owner alien tells you to turn off your computer.
- Giant Enemy Crab
- Hearts Are Health
- Hospitality for Heroes — The last shop gives you a 50% discount, since you are saving the world after all.
- Left the Background Music On — The shopkeeper turns it off to do business with you.
- Nintendo Hard — You can buy lots and lots of firepower, but you can't really do anything for your ship's defense except learn to dodge really well.
- Real Song Theme Tune — Bomb the Bass' "Megablast (Hip Hop on Precinct 13)" lent the game not only its theme music, but its subtitle.