When on a mission to rescue the princess, Mario has been known to use any means necessary to defeat his enemy—even wearing the skin of a raccoon dog to give him special powers.
Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur. By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur. Play Super Tanooki Skin 2D and help Tanooki reclaim his fur!Super Tanooki Skin 2Dnote is an Endless Running Game made by PETA in 2011, intended as a rather gruesome parody of the then-recent Super Mario 3D Land and its Tanooki Suit (Which was previously featured in Super Mario Bros. 3).The premise, such as it is, is that Mario is evil because he uses Tanooki Suitsnote , and a tanooki has gotten fed up with this and has set out to catch Mario and save his skin. Thus, through a fairly short Auto-Scrolling Level, you must jump over obstacles and take your skin back from Mario.Upon release, the game was heavily criticized by gamers for missing the point of the Tanooki Suits, something the company's games tend to suffer from as a whole. As such, Retsupurae has taken on the game (or rather, its message) in this video.See also Super Chick Sisters, another Mario spoof made by PETA.While most of us would want to state what is in our minds, let's not bring PETA's views into your edits, OK?
— Official description
This game provides examples of:
- Author Tract: Wouldn't be a PETA game without it.
- A Winner Is You: Beating the game (which is rather short, mind you) shows a shot of the tanuki, his skin regained, giving the V Sign over a dazed Mario.
- Big Ball of Violence: When you finally catch Mario, he and the tanooki do this.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Than the Mario franchise itself.
- Circling Birdies: The star variant is shown on Mario in the ending.
- Crapsack World: The game takes place in a twisted version of the Mushroom Kingdom, where the hills bleed and are stripped of their fur. It gets better once you catch Mario.
- Cue the Sun: The red clouds dissipate into a normal blue landscape when you regain your skin.
- Excuse Plot: The only words you get upon starting the game is "SAVE YOUR SKIN!"
- Fur and Loathing: Mario, of course.
- "Get Back Here!" Boss: The entire game is spent running after Mario.
- Nintendo Hard: The game's speed eventually makes it really hard to keep up with Mario.
- Red Sky, Take Warning: For most of the game.
- Space Whale Aesop: Don't skin tanooki, because they will come after you and beat you up. Even if the skin doesn't even come from real tanooki.
- Symbol Swearing: When you finally catch Mario:"#$*! YOU MARIO!
THIS SKIN BELONGS
TO AN ANIMAL!"
- V Sign: Done by the tanooki when he regains his skin.
- Word Salad Title: Super Mario 3D Land sort of made sense. Super Tanooki Skin 2D... less so.