Parody Video Games
As with most forms of media, video games have since been a subject to parodies ever since they gained mainstream popularity in the early Eighties, with popular characters like Mario
and the like getting their fair share of expies
, or common gaming conventions such as Achievement Systems
and First-Person Shooter
mechanics being satirized or deconstructed
either as a commentary on the industry, to simply poke fun at or pay homage to them or pop culture in general, or as a mere Shallow Parody
Note that Affectionate Parody
applies here as well; arguably even more
so than other forms of parody. A parody game can just as easily be a fan game as well, or at the very least a love letter to the game it's parodying. Some games are even made by the same company, either as Self-Deprecation
or just wanting to have fun compared to the more serious versions.
Sub-trope of Comedy Video Games
. Compare and contrast this with Deconstruction Game
. See also Lighter and Softer
, Denser and Wackier
- 3D Dot Game Heroes - A spoof of The Legend of Zelda
- Achievement Unlocked - The main goal is to get achivements/trophies
- Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden - Parody of amateur RPG Maker games, made in Mark Overmars' Game Maker
- Cooking Mama: Mama Kills Animals - PETA making a spoof of Cooking Mama
- DLC Quest - Spoofs Downloadable Content
- Dot Kareshi - An Affectionate Parody of Eastern RPGs and the habits players of said games tend to develop.
- Enough Plumbers - Spoofs Super Mario Bros.
- Five Nights at Fuckboy's - Spoofs Five Nights at Freddy's
- The Illogical Journey of the Zambonis - a parody of Logical Journey of the Zoombinis with, well zambonis
- Kid Dracula - Konami made a Lighter and Softer version of its own Castlevania
- Legos In Space - Of bad LEGO fan games.
- Normal Super Mario Bros - Super Mario Bros. but What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?
- Neptunia - Uses Moe Anthropomorphism to parody the entire video game industry, as well as several individual game series.
- One Night at Flumpty's - Spoofs Five Nights at Freddy's
- Organ Trail - If The Oregon Trail had to deal with zombies
- Otomedius - Konami makes a extremely trippy version of its own Gradius, and other series.
- Parodius - Konami makes a Cute 'em Up version of its own Gradius, and other series.
- Peasant's Quest - Of old fashioned text adventures like King's Quest, and no, You Can't Get Ye Flask in these games.
- Pokémon Black and Blue - PETA making a spoof of Pokémon
- Progress Quest - Spoofs RPG games by making it all look like a spreadsheet
- Pyst - Spoofs Myst
- Splatterhouse - The series itself has a spoof installment, Splatterhouse Wanpuku Graffiti
- Star Soldier - has a Cute 'em Up installment Star Parodier
- Stinkoman 20X6 - Spoofs the Mega Man (Classic) series
- Super Chick Sisters - PETA making a spoof of Super Mario Bros.
- Super Tanooki Skin 2D - PETA making a spoof of Super Mario Bros.
- Syobon Action - Spoofs Super Mario Bros.
- Upgrade Complete - A parody of upgrade-centric Web Games
- The What-Iffers in: Final Fancy - A parody of Final Fantasy
- Wingman DX - A parody of dating simulators.