Videogame / Stanley The Search For Dr Livingston
Stanley: The Search for Dr. Livingston
is an Adventure Game
released in 1992 for the Nintendo Entertainment System
You take control of reporter Henry Morton Stanley , in search of Dr. Livingston. As the game goes on, Stanley will be collecting various weapons, keys, and powerups to help in his search in the Masza jungle.
Tropes appearing in Stanley: The Search For Dr. Livingston
- Adventurer Outfit: Stanley wears a safari outfit sans rifle.
- An Axe to Grind: One of the several weapons Stanley can find to toss at foes.
- Archer Archetype: Stanley's learned in archery to be able to use a bow and arrows.
- Blade on a Stick: One of several throwing weapons Stanley can use is a spear.
- Blow Gun: A ranged weapon for Stanley that is notably weak, but with infinite ammo.
- Bottomless Pits: Unfortunately, these will instantly murder anything that'll fall in.
- Carry a Big Stick: One weapon Stanley can stumble across is a club to bludgeon enemies with.
- Critical Existence Failure: Stanley will keep fighting until his health is completely drained.
- Evil Mask: One of the enemies Stanley will encounter, shooting 3 ways.
- Fetch Quest: Stanley will have to fetch several items to various towns to be helped by the towns.
- First Town: Port Harken is where the adventure begins.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: An emergency weapon that can be upgraded eventually to shoot giant fists into enemies faces for heavy damage, also being the only way to defeat the Alnuk.
- Giant Spider: One of the many enemies out to kill Stanley. They'll swoop down when Stanley goes to cross under.
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: Stanley will have to make good use of the graphnel to succeed in his journey.
- Helicopter Pack: Stanley can make use of this to slow his falls to non-lethal velocities and catch any air currents.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: Of David Livingstone and H.M. Stanley.
- I Choose to Stay: Stanley says that to the ship captain at Port Harken, yet Dr. Livingston stays at the floating island at the end.
- Idle Animation: After a bit of waiting in a standing position, Stanley takes off his hat and wipes his eyebrow and puts it back on.
- Improbable Weapon User: Stanley can use gemstones to excellent effect against enemies and the Mortuk.
- Stanley can also throw miniature fists at enemies if he finds them.
- Improvised Weapon: Stanley can make use of rocks to accost enemies.
- Interchangeable Antimatter Keys: Keys to the Kelka and Seals of Chitka serve as this to any Kelka.
- Jungle Japes: A lot of the game will take place in the jungle, occasionally with a travel across a river or gate.
- Knife Nut: One weapon Stanley can procure are throwing knives.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: One item Stanley can use is the shield, which is useful for dealing with demons in one hit.
- Machete Mayhem: One other weapon Stanley can find to slice at foes.
- Man-Eating Plant: One more enemy that will go to One-Hit Kill Stanley.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: The Alnuks are these, wielding a sword, blow gun, bow, and spear.
- Noble Savage: There are natives, but they're not there to talk on the most part, but to kill Stanley. They usually drop weapons upon being defeated though.
- Not the Fall That Kills You: Poor Stanley will die if he falls too far without using his gyro copter in his backpack.
- One-Hit Kill: A few enemies can do this, including giant spiders, boa constrictors, alligators, and man-eating plants! Even bottomless pits and spikes will do Stanley in instantly!
- 1-Up: In the form of Stanley's head, these also top out Stanley's health!
- Our Demons Are Different: They carry spears and are the toughest enemy in the game. The shield will stop them cold upon running into them.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: The ghost warriors are there to guard the kelkas harmlessly until you give them a key or seal.
- Poison Mushroom: The skulls are not to be picked up.
- Port Town: Port Harken is a Port.
- Ruins for Ruins' Sake: The Masza is filled with plenty of ruins to find items and goods.
- Shows Damage: The Evil Masks will lose feathers on the top to show how much health they have until they phase out.
- Small Towns: There are a few small towns for Stanley to visit and help.
- Temple of Doom: There are a couple temples to worry about, as well as Kelkas, which require a key to the Kelka or Seal of Chitka to bypass a ghost warrior
- The Many Deaths Of Stanley: Stanley can fall too far and land upon the ground, get cocooned by a Giant Spider, devoured by a Man-eating plant, torn apart by alligators, or just beaten to his death by the enemies.
- Unusable Enemy Equipment: Averted on the natives, but played straight for the Blow Gun natives, The Mortuk's staff, and the Alnuk's weaponry.