''Stanley: The Search for Dr. Livingston'' is an AdventureGame released in 1992 for the UsefulNotes/NintendoEntertainmentSystem.
You take control of reporter Henry Morton Stanley , in search of Dr. Livingston. As the game goes on, Stanley will be collecting various weapons, keys, and powerups to help in his search in the Masza jungle.
!!Tropes appearing in Stanley: The Search For Dr. Livingston
* AdventurerOutfit: Stanley wears a safari outfit sans rifle.
* AnAxeToGrind: One of the several weapons Stanley can find to toss at foes.
* ArcherArchetype: Stanley's learned in archery to be able to use a bow and arrows.
* BladeOnAStick: One of several throwing weapons Stanley can use is a spear.
* BlowGun: A ranged weapon for Stanley that is notably weak, but with infinite ammo.
* BottomlessPits: Unfortunately, these will instantly murder anything that'll fall in.
* CarryABigStick: One weapon Stanley can stumble across is a club to bludgeon enemies with.
* CriticalExistenceFailure: Stanley will keep fighting until his health is completely drained.
* EvilMask: One of the enemies Stanley will encounter, shooting 3 ways.
* FetchQuest: Stanley will have to fetch several items to various towns to be helped by the towns.
* FirstTown: Port Harken is where the adventure begins.
* GoodOldFisticuffs: An emergency weapon that can be upgraded [[spoiler: eventually to shoot giant fists into enemies faces for heavy damage, also being the only way to defeat the Alnuk.]]
* GiantSpider: One of the many enemies out to kill Stanley. They'll swoop down when Stanley goes to cross under.
* GrapplingHookPistol: Stanley will have to make good use of the graphnel to succeed in his journey.
* HelicopterPack: Stanley can make use of this to slow his falls to non-lethal velocities and catch any air currents.
* HistoricalHeroUpgrade: Of [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Livingstone David Livingstone and H.M. Stanley.]]
* IChooseToStay: Stanley says that to the ship captain at Port Harken, [[spoiler: yet Dr. Livingston stays at the floating island at the end.]]
* IdleAnimation: After a bit of waiting in a standing position, Stanley takes off his hat and wipes his eyebrow and puts it back on.
* ImprobableWeaponUser: Stanley can use gemstones to [[DiscOneNuke excellent]] effect against enemies [[spoiler: and the Mortuk.]]
** Stanley can also throw miniature fists at enemies if he finds them.
* ImprovisedWeapon: Stanley can make use of rocks to accost enemies.
* InterchangeableAntimatterKeys: Keys to the Kelka and Seals of Chitka serve as this to any Kelka.
* JungleJapes: A lot of the game will take place in the jungle, occasionally with a travel across a river or gate.
* KnifeNut: One weapon Stanley can procure are throwing knives.
* LuckilyMyShieldWillProtectMe: One item Stanley can use is the shield, which is useful [[spoiler: for dealing with demons in one hit.]]
* MacheteMayhem: One other weapon Stanley can find to slice at foes.
* ManEatingPlant: One more enemy that will go to OneHitKill Stanley.
* MultiArmedAndDangerous: [[spoiler: The Alnuks are these, wielding a sword, blow gun, bow, and spear.]]
* NobleSavage: There are natives, but they're not there to talk on the most part, but to kill Stanley. They usually drop weapons upon being defeated though.
* NotTheFallThatKillsYou: Poor Stanley will die if he falls too far without using his gyro copter in his backpack.
* OneHitKill: A few enemies can do this, including [[GiantSpider giant spiders]], boa constrictors, alligators, and man-eating plants! Even bottomless pits and spikes will do Stanley in instantly!
* OneUp: In the form of Stanley's head, these ''also'' top out Stanley's health!
* OurDemonsAreDifferent: They carry spears and are the ''toughest'' enemy in the game. [[spoiler: The shield will stop them cold upon running into them.]]
* OurGhostsAreDifferent: The ghost warriors are there to guard the kelkas harmlessly until you give them a [[InterchangeableAntiMatterKeys key or seal]].
* PoisonMushroom: The skulls are ''not'' to be picked up.
* PortTown: Port Harken is a [[CaptainObvious Port]].
* RuinsForRuinsSake: The Masza is filled with plenty of ruins to find items and goods.
* ShowsDamage: The [[EvilMask Evil Masks]] will lose feathers on the top to show how much health they have until they phase out.
* SmallTowns: There are a few small towns for Stanley to visit and help.
* TempleOfDoom: There are a couple temples to worry about, as well as Kelkas, which require a [[InterchangeableAntimatterKeys key to the Kelka or Seal of Chitka]] to bypass a ghost warrior
* [[TheManyDeathsOfYou The Many Deaths Of Stanley]]: Stanley can fall too far and land upon the ground, get cocooned by a GiantSpider, devoured by a Man-eating plant, torn apart by alligators, or just beaten to his death by the enemies.
* UnusableEnemyEquipment: Averted on the natives, but played straight for the BlowGun natives, [[spoiler: The Mortuk's staff, and the Alnuk's weaponry.]]