Video Game: Sonic Erazor
Hello and welcome toROM hack of Sonic The Hedgehog 1 created by Selbi. It became known throughout the Sonic ROM hacking community for its unique and rage-inducing gimmicks, as well as its hardness in general.There have been four releases in total: you can get them all here. A sequel has been hinted at.
This video game provides examples of:
- Action Bomb: The grey Bomb in Scar Night explodes countless times before dying for good.
- Always Night: Night Hill Place.
- Anti-Frustration Features: The Hard Part Skipper will skip particularly challenging parts of a level, though any rings or powerups are lost in the process.
- Art Evolution: The spikes in the Ruined Place went from simple red dots on the tip to more obviously bloody.
- Bloodier and Gorier: There are a few bloody spikes here and there.
- Brought Down to Badass: Midway through the Ruined Place, one finds an S Monitor that grants a different Inhuman Mode that strips Sonic of all his abilities (except for invincibility and the bullet shooting) and saps his rings at a very quick rate while still and a less fast rate while moving, and you die when it hits zero. While in this state, you must navigate through a maze of bloody spikes that teleport Sonic back to the start if he touches them (thus making your invincibility worthless).
- Double Jump
- Downer Ending: In the game's pre-credit sequence where Sonic runs through Green Hill Zone, he fails to stop in time and goes into a pit, instantly killing him. Directly after, a text saying "U Mad Bro?" appears on screen, followed by the credits.
- Dungeon Bypass: One YouTube user found another way to get to the Easter Egg mentioned below.
- Easter Egg: Through some fancy tricks in the Scar Night Zone, you can get to a secret screen with a little story on it...
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The Hard Part Skipper.
- Forced Tutorial: Completely averted - there is a warp ring to the left of your starting point in the Tutorial Place that skips the whole thing.
- Gravity Master: Sonic gains this ability in the Scar Night Place.
- Hub Level: Uberhub Place.
- Invincible Minor Minion: There are invincible Buzz Bombers behind a waterfall in one section of Night Hill Place.
- Mini-Boss: A Bomb serves as one in Scar Night Place.
- Nintendo Hard: And that's if you're good.
- Nostalgia Level: Green Hill Place is mostly unchanged, save for the enemies constantly exploding.
- Ratchet Scrolling: A vertical variation is used in Labyrinth Place. Justified, as due to the ring-draining Timed Mission in the previous stage, Sonic is not able to pay his camera crew.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Sonic runs off a cliff and dies in the ending. This is followed by "U MAD BRO?!" appearing.
- Shout-Out: All the music is taken from other games.
- Shows Damage: The Green Hill Place boss loses his spiked balls as he takes damage, and when he's down to the last ball the three floating platforms disappear as well.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Everywhere. In fact, the end of the tutorial lampshades it:"They call me the Michael Bay of Sonic games."
- Stupidity Is the Only Option: In the Ruined Place, a spike blocks your progress unless you grab a S Monitor that sets off a deadly Timed Mission.
- Super Mode: Super Sonic is absent, but breaking an S Monitor grants Sonic "Inhuman Mode", where he is completely invincible and can fire bullets (that can also be used to propel oneself into the air).
- Suspicious Video Game Generosity: A shutter rains rings on you just before the final boss.
- Take That, Audience!: Beat the first Special Place and the game outright insults you."If I see such a pathetic excuse of what you call skill again, I will go ahead and disable the checkpoints until you can do this stage while you are asleep!"
- Timed Mission: The aforementioned Ruined Place maze.Think of the movie Speed, but with a hedgehog.
- Trapped in Another World: The plot involves Sonic escaping a giant Buzz Bomber, then accidentally falling into a giant ring that transports him into a strange parallel dimension.
- Trial-and-Error Gameplay: The tutorial outright admits so.
- Vulgar Humor: The Easter Egg. Lampshaded by the end-of-level screen, which mentions "an incredibly inappropriated easter egg".