Video Game / Severance: Blade of Darkness
Severance: Blade of Darkness
(known as Blade: Edge of Darkness
in Europe) is a third person fantasy Hack and Slash
game with Action RPG
and Beat 'em Up
elements, developed by Rebel Act Studios and published by Codemasters
The game takes place in a Low Fantasy
setting, where armies of orcs and undead are invading the land. It falls to one hero to recover the Sword of Light and defeat the master of the hordes.
The playable characters are:
- Sargon, a knight. Uses swords and maces.
- Tukaram, a barbarian. Uses two handed swords and axes.
- Zoe, an Amazon. Uses staves and spears.
- Naglfar, a dwarf. Uses one handed axes, hammers and clubs.
This game contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Zoe, the Amazon.
- All Trolls Are Different
- An Arm and a Leg: Happens very often when an enemy (or the Player Character) dies.
- An Axe to Grind: Naglfar and Tukaram are fond of these; the former uses one handed ones, the later prefers huge two handed ones.
- Annoying Arrows: There is only one type of bow in the game, which deals pitiful damage. Only useful for solving switch puzzles.
- Armor Is Useless: Armor subtracts from the strength of enemy attacks. But the enemies use the same powerful weapons as the player (including some of the special moves), so even Sargon's heavy plate doesn't protect much.
- Barbarian Hero: Tukaram.
- BFS: Tukaram's later weapons are huge.
- Blade on a Stick: Zoe specializes in these.
- Dem Bones: Skeletons are a common (and annoying) enemy you'll find in the game.
- Giant Mook: Minotaurs, Golems.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: You can pick up your enemies' severed limbs and use them to beat other enemies with them. They deal almost no damage, but it makes for some Black Comedy.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: During the first levels, food items such as cheese or meat will be your main source of health. They don't heal much, so later on you'll have to rely on potions.
- Infinity +1 Sword: In the main castle of the Big Bad, there is a weapons chamber with 4 extremely powerful weapons (one for each character, of course). These deals normal damage equal to the Sword of Light, and their special attacks are the most powerful in the game, causing more than 10000 damage in one hit. The weapons chamber is easy to miss, though.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Sargon, although he still butchers his way through the orcs like the other characters.
- Lethal Lava Land: The Forge of Xshathra.
- Nintendo Hard: Lots of durable enemies? Check. Limited health pickups? Check. Long levels filled with traps? Check. It's a good thing you can save any time you want, because you'll probably be loading your game a lot.
- Obvious Beta: This game had some pretty annoying bugs, especially within its cutscenes. Like losing control of the character and not getting it back after the cutscene, or the character just walking circles instead of walking towards his goal.
- Off with His Head!: Kill an enemy with a strike to the head and his head will end up rolling across the ground.
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: Naglfar.
- Our Ogres Are Hungrier
- Our Orcs Are Different
- Our Vampires Are Different: They look like tall, thin, skinless ghouls, for starters.
- Secret Level: The Abyss, where you fight the real Big Bad of the game. To reach it, you'll have to find all six runes scattered throughout the game. Otherwise Dol Gurak will be the last level and you'll get a Bad Ending.
- Shows Damage: Both enemies and player characters will become more wounded and bloodied as they lose health.
- The Smurfette Principle: Zoe is the only playable female character out of four.
- Special Attack: Every weapon has it's own special move, which deals massive damage. The characters also have some weapon-independent moves. And the magical weapons would be entirely useless if not for their special move, because their base damage is so low.
- Stripperiffic: One of the multiplayer skins for Amazon leaves her in just a shoulder-plate, metal bra and crotch protection.
- Sword Beam: The special move of the Sword of Light.
- Sword of Plot Advancement: The Sword of Light, which is probably needed to defeat the Big Bad. That's because he teleports away from melee, and the Sword Beam of the Sword of Light is the only good ranged attack.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Yes, you can throw your weapon dozens of meters. No, it isn't effective after the first area. This move becomes semi-useful with the Sword of Light, which teleports back in your hand after the throw.