Beyond the Jungle
is the fifth game in the Pitfall
series, and (as implied by the title) the first one
in 3D. It was released on PlayStation
and Gameboy Color
While investigating a cave in Mexico, Pitfall Harry Jr. (voiced by Bruce Campbell
) finds a crystal which opens a rift into another dimension. In the rift, a woman named Mira appears and tells him that she's a member of ancient civilization of Moku, and her world has been taken over by evil woman known as Scourge. Harry Jr. agrees to help her cause and takes a step into the rift.
This game provides examples of:
- Continuity Nod: Harry Jr.'s "run in with the Mayans" is mentioned in the manual, referencing the previous game The Mayan Adventure.
- Convection Schmonvection: Heat's not a problem for Harry Jr.
- In the volcano stages, he loses health if he walks on red lava, but dies instantly if he touches yellow lava.
- Creative Closing Credits: They take the form of the original Atari game, with Harry jr. interacting with the oncoming credits.
- Darker and Edgier: Instead of treasure hunting and avoiding crocodiles like in the previous games, you are now stopping systematic genocide and saving the Earth from an extra-dimensional invasion.
- Death by Childbirth: Harry Jr.'s mother died giving birth to him while she and her husband were in an out-of-control minecart ride.
- Domed Hometown: Scourge has placed a force dome over the city of Shenrak to prevent Moku returning home.
- Edge Gravity: Harry Jr. won't willingly walk off a cliff...once. If the player tries again, though, he'll happily fall off the edge (sometimes this takes several tries, though). Unfortunately, Harry won't 'bump back' from the edge if he's walking on a container or box.
- Elemental Embodiment: Earth Soldiers and Fire Djinns.
- Embedded Precursor: The original Atari 2600 game is available via a password.
- Every 10,000 Points: You'll be awarded with points at the end of every level, which in turn provide you with one-ups.
- Evil Overlord: Scourge.
- Take Over the World: Scourge isn't satisfied with just her homeworld, as ours is next.
- Tastes Like Chicken: The manual states that the local scorpions are a common delicacy, and taste like chicken.
- Throw Down the Bomblet: Scourge in her flying form bombards Harry Jr. with explosives.
- Token Romance: Harry and Mira develop a romance during the game. At least that's what the manual tells us.
- Toxic Phlebotinum: Katal's mind was corrupted by the red lucense, and later emerged as Scourge.
- Variable Mix: Excluding the boss stages, there are at least ten themes per level.