Video Game: Mental Series
The first game.
series is a series of five games available on FreeWorldGroup. The main focus of the series is around three mental hospital patients, Fred, Greg and Walter as they attempt to escape from said mental hospital back to their home in the country. In the first game, Mental
, you control each of the three, each with their own abilities to get past the nurses and to freedom. The game that followed this was The Journey
, which followed Fred as he attempts to get out of a city, with police and mental health workers looking for him. Then there was In the Woods
, that followed Walter who must find his way out of the woods that he escaped into. Next was Mental Showtime
, that followed Greg, who must find his way out of a circus after he had been captured by an evil ringmaster as he was looking for his friends. This all culminated in one last game
, Mental: Murder Most Foul
, where the trio must escape from a city after reuniting, with the authorities hot on their heels after the body count that they had racked up in the previous games turns them into wanted criminals.
This series provides examples of:
- Angry Guard Dog: One appears in Mental. Greg has to take it out with his slingshot.
- Another one appears in In the Woods. This time, Walter must throw a bone into the distance to distract it.
- Apathetic Citizens: The citizens in Murder Most Foul will only be annoyed if you walk into them. You'd think that being wanted criminals, the trio would frighten them at least a bit more. Or the fact that Walter is splattering them with a van.
- Bag of Spilling: Greg has a slingshot in Mental and Mental Showtime for some reason. Come Murder Most Foul, he's lost it.
- The Big Guy: Walter.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: Fred and Walter.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience / Color-Coded Characters: Fred is green, Greg is orange, Walter is purple.
- Excuse Plot: The three of you are in a mental hospital/big city. Alternatively, one of you is in a city/stretch of woods/circus. Either way, you need to get out. The game doesn't really go into more detail beyond that.
- Flower Pot Drop: This comes up in Mental, where Walter has to take out a nurse in this way.
- Guide Dang It: Examples pop up throughout all of the games, but Murder Most Foul, given the expanded premise, makes for a lot more of these moments, given that it takes place in a big city and all of the buildings look similar.
- It's a Wonderful Failure: If you get caught in Murder Most Foul, you're treated to a brief scene of a judge sentencing the trio (with no audio) and then the trio in a jail cell before the Game Over menu appears.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: Offscreen after the first game, the trio all split up and go their own ways. The next three games are about them getting out of their individual predicaments and reuniting.
- Osama bin Laden: The instructions of Murder Most Foul reveal that the trio have knocked off 'Box Laden' as the most wanted criminal in the country.
- Point-and-Click Game: All of the games except for Mental and Murder Most Foul are basically these.
- Reality Ensues: While the murders that the trio committed are for the most part ignored, Murder Most Foul reveals that the sheer body count racked up by the trio have now made the the most wanted criminals in the country. Oops.
- Sequel Hook: The Journey, In the Woods and Mental Showtime all end with a To Be Continued screen. These all culminate in the events of Murder Most Foul.
- Try Everything: The Journey, In the Woods and Mental Showtime all encourage you to click on everything to find the solutions to the puzzles.
- Unwinnable by Design: It's very possible to trap all three characters in Murder Most Foul in the chemistry lab, meaning that the entire game will have to be reset.
- Villain Protagonist: All three of them! As they all go about their business of escaping, they end up killing innumerable amounts of people just to get to where they need to be. The Journey even has Fred set a building on fire and jump off one of the escapees as they try to leap to safety! Odds are that murdering is what landed them in the mental hospital in the first place! This comes back to bite the trio in Murder Most Foul, where they're now the most wanted criminals in the country after all the killings that they've done.
- We Cannot Go On Without You: In Mental and Murder Most Foul, if just one character gets caught, it's Game Over for all three of the trio.