Video Game: Lab Of The Dead
Lab of the Dead is an Adobe Flash game on Newgrounds and the storyline sequel to Road Of The Dead. It is about a scientist who is actually studying zombies psychologically in order to find ways to control them. Unlike other Zombie Apocalypse games, there is no danger of being eaten by a zombie, instead being focused on discovering things about zombies. It is playable here.
This game contains examples of the following:
- Apocalyptic Log: Alpha Team's tapes/notes.
- Continuity Nod: One radio conversation from Road Of The Dead can be heard namely, the one about the nuke. It is also implied that the player character is the brother of the car mechanic from that game.
- Downer Ending: You cannot turn Zombies back even at 100% Mood and Humanity. Then, your fellow survivors turn on you, forcing you to either kill or infect them. The Game ends when you reach 100% completion and leaves the facility to become The Aloner.
- Gaiden Game: To Road Of The Dead
- Government Conspiracy: Goes with the genre, as it is eventually revealed that the S-14 virus was created by the government.
- Irony: The military general who was allowing the scientist to work in the lab finds the notes the scientist was collecting about the previous owners of the lab, and then uses science in general as a scapegoat for all their problems, and, basically, praises the military for not being that dumb. After he ends up dead, the scientist finds evidence that points at the opposite view, where the previous scientist eventually tried to prevent the outbreak by destroying the notes on the virus, and the military kills her, on orders and attempts to brute force the situation back to stable.
- Ludicrous Gibs: Art by Sickdeathfiend, enough said.
- Mad Scientist: The player, especially after murdering the military squad.
- Downplayed Trope. He has enough sanity to realize what he just did was twisted, and seems to regret it greatly and was acting out of stress. Despite any excuse, he still notes he should not have done that. Nonetheless, you can still feed their flesh to a zombie.
- Mood Whiplash: In universe. In order to get all reactions on a zombie, you sometimes have to annoy and hurt the zombies before making them feel good again to get all the needed reactions.
- Shout-Out: The Advanced Reaction for the loaded pistol and cell phone are ones to Day of the Dead (1985).
- Sole Surviving Scientist: The main character is a sole surviving researcher following in the footsteps of the original dead scientists.
- Undeathly Pallor: Zombies are portrayed as having decidedly bluish skins.
- Video Game Caring Potential: Caring for zombies no less!
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: Half of the gameplay!
- Violation of Common Sense: Make a zombie have low mood and high humanity, shoot it in the legs, then give it a loaded handgun. Surprisingly, this does not result in a game over!
- And this is show to be a bad idea as well, if you get the special reaction from the empty handgun, the zombie TRIES TO SHOOT YOU!
- Want to get some good reactions? Piss off the zombie first so it gets a certain reaction, then make it happy again.
- Zombies sometimes do this in universe, trying to eat things that clearly should not. With the fan, it results in the zombie losing its jaw even if you never did anything to damage it
- Zombie Apocalypse: Naturally