Savin' the day, the McPixel way!
There's a bomb somewhere in the building/house/deserted island/whale/castle/school/outer space/(insert location here)! You've got twenty seconds to defuse it! What would you do?
Be a complete idiot, apparently.
In this cross between Wario Ware
and Leisure Suit Larry
, follow the adventures of adventure man, jack-of-all-trades and general vandal McPixel as he finds himself in various cliffhanger situations, and has only 20 seconds to save the day with a mixture of cartoon logic and wanton destruction.
and through Steam
This game provides examples of:
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: A volcano demands a Virgin Sacrifice. You have the option to toss a Dumb Blonde or a cow in. The solution to that particular puzzle is for McPixel to throw himself into the volcano.
- Appease The Volcano God: As described above in A Man Is Not a Virgin.
- Ass Shove: A possible solution to a disturbing amount of puzzles.
- The Cameo: A "Space Butterfly" level that was added at the request of Jesse Cox.
- Pew Die Pie, the Bro, Stephano and a Barrel appear in the same DLC set.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Chapter 4, Round 1, Level 4. McPixel gets hammered off a drink that's 1% alcohol and Groin Attacks Guy Fawkes.
- Cheek Copy: A possible answer to Chapter 2, Round 2, Level 4. It still expplodes the building.
- Comedic Sociopathy: McPixel's task is to make sure the bomb doesn't blow up, no one said anything about making sure bystanders don't get hurt or used as battering rams.
- Digital Piracy Is Okay: The developer even handed out promo codes for the game on a torrent page on The Pirate Bay. This gave the game a lot of publicity, which TPB's organizers helped along by modifying their logo to resemble McPixel's. Article linkie.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Invoked to stop a bomb on the moon.
- Engineered Heroics: One of the extras for 100% Completion is a scene in which McPixel sends out the bombs he defuses.
- Feed It a Bomb: As noted under Jumping on a Grenade, this is sometimes a solution.
- Gasshole: One of the extras for 100% Completion is a "Fart-Along" rhythm game.
- Groin Attack: Whenever McPixel interacts with a person, his first action will be a kick to the groin.
- Insane Troll Logic: The only kind of logic that can beat 99% of the puzzles.
- To put things in perspective, the first rule of playing this game is this: If the solution you have in mind makes sense, there's a 75% chance it's wrong. The remaining 25%? It works, but not in the way you were expecting it to. After a couple levels, it's almost second nature.
- Jumping on a Grenade: And sometimes, eating the grenade. 50% of the time, it works. The other fifty percent, everything else explodes.
- Let's Play: Courtesy of OMFGcata's Jesse Cox, seen here.
- Mind Screw/Acid Trip Dimension: The Bonus Stages.
- Quote Mine: Take a look at the website and see how many review quotes are mined to the point of unintelligibility.
- Retraux: Mimics late 70s/early 80s pixel games. The cover art itself is very eighties, as well.
- Shout Out: The Bonus Stages are specifically geared around a theme of Film, Video Games, and Cartoons.
- The first Bonus stage features: Titanic, Star Wars (specifically, Return of the Jedi), Alien (the third film, it seems), The Quick And The Dead, Terminator, and Harry Potter.
- The second bonus stage has Space Invaders, Super Mario Bros (and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for some reason), Final Fantasy VII, Portal, Pokémon, and Mortal Kombat.
- One Bonus Round is NyanCat.
- One of the taglines is "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb."
- Time Bomb: Every level but the bonus rounds.
- Timed Mission: Every level gives you twenty seconds to figure out a solution.
- Title Scream: MCPIXEL!! greets you each time you fire the game up.
- X Meets Y: As noted above: Wario Ware meets Leisure Suit Larry.