Video Game: Lone Siren
"Open your eyes, dear, for you are alone."Lone Siren is an free exploration game released in October 2013 by molegato.Its premise is simple: The titular Siren wakes up and discovers all of her kind has left, for reasons unknown to the player, and so sets off to look for them.The player will soon find that the only way to accomplish this mission is to find eleven 'magic relics' and hand them over to an unnamed witch, who will then use her magic to help...but not everything is what it looks like and players are up for a couple of surprises.The game has a heavy focus on ambient and is vague on the setting by design, and was inspired by Yume Nikki, OFF and Ecco The Dolphin, of all things.Can be found here.
Lone Siren provides examples of:
- Ambidextrous Sprite: The siren, as every other character in the game, is just mirrored whenever she switches directions.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: The siren.
- Blackout Basement: The eastern caves.
- Broken Bridge: All three of the abilities the siren can learn are necessary to progress.
- Crap Saccharine World: It looks like a peaceful watery fairytale setting, except it's just the delusions of a little girl, wandering alone around the aftermath of a bombing.
- Downer Ending: Turns out the Siren was just a scared girl imagining she was a mermaid to cope with the fact that everyone she knows is probably dead.
- Fetch Quest/Gotta Catch 'Em All: The eleven magic items and the four personal treasures.
- Guide Dang It: Getting the second ending.
- Half-Human Hybrids: The Siren, by virtue of being... a mermaid.
- Heroic Mime: The Siren never talks.
- Multiple Endings: From a rather vague sequence of the Siren swimming to the distance, to a revelation of everything being a delusion of a traumatized girl.
- Musical Spoiler: The background noise at the palace. And how it stops forever depending on your actions.
- One Hitpoint Wonder: In the rare occasions something attacks you, expect it to be fast and effective.
- Race Againstthe Clock: The timed sequence at the caves.
- The Maze: The Interior Reef zone.
- Mental World: It's all in the head of a little, scared girl.
- Parental Abandonment: Implied by two of the items you can collect.
- The Reveal: The second ending.