is a Cyberpunk
themed total conversion FPS
of Half-Life 2
, created by an amateur development team (now Puny Human Games
) and released to the public for free.Dystopia
places the player into tense combat situations in a high tech world spanned by computer networks. As either Punk Mercenaries or Corporate Security Forces the player will fight through the physical world to gain access, via jack-in terminals, to Cyberspace
Cyberspace is a three dimensional representation of the world's network. Inside cyberspace players will launch programs to hack
into systems linked to the physical world while fighting off enemy hackers and defending critical systems. Gameplay progresses through inter-linked physical and cyberspace objectives, some are completed in either the physical world or cyberspace, others only by a well timed combination of the two.
This game provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The game has quite a deep setting, but the only way to find about it is to read the wiki.
- Arm Cannon: The Heavy weapons
- Armed Legs: The goomba stomp
- Attack Drone: The Spider Mine
- Body Armor As Hitpoints: Armor has a certain hit point value and takes damage in place of some of your health, but it works differently. It takes double-damage from explosive weapons and half-damage from everything else. It also cannot be regenerated like health.
- Bond One-Liner: The taunts. See the example on the page for a list.
- Clone Degeneration: Combat clones have a maximum lifespan around 20 minutes and lack several biological functions.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: Punks are red, Corporates are Blue.
- Combat Medic: Anybody with the mediplant implant is one of these.
- Crap Sack World: Several area of the world, one being New York City, have been irradiated, the United States...(see below). Global Warming has been halted, at the cost of the atmosphere now being filled with UH-4, a compound that is carcinogenic to life. The ozone layer has been split into ozone spheres...the list goes on. The game doesn't have the name Dystopia for nothing.
- Divided States of America: The United States is now been split into the United Dominion of Canada, the North American Free States, and New Galilee.
- Enemy Detecting Radar: The TAC Scanner
- Energy Weapon
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin:
- The name
- The cyberspace attack programs are called Hitscan, Projectile, and Shaft.
- Explosive Leash: The backstory to one of the maps has the Punks trying to remotely detonate a cortex bomb after a failed mission.
- Fallen States of America: The US has been split into several different nations after the US fell due to its currency collapsing.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: The Laser Rifle
- Ion cannon too, more like 'Frickin Ion Beams'
- Feel No Pain: Cloned soldiers have pain filters.
- Future Food Is Artificial: The menu at an abandoned coffee shop consists entirely of soy products.
- Gatling Good: Heavies can use one of these.
- Guns Akimbo: The Smartlock Pistols
- Hollywood Hacking
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Some of these emitted by the heavy armor.
- Taunting in general: "I slept with your mother... board."
- Invisibility Cloak: Almost perfect but drains a lot of energy and thermal vision sees straight through it.
- Most people learn to spot cloakers quickly, so it's more used for disorientation than anything else.
- I Shall Taunt You: Rampant. At players' choice.
- Katanas Are Just Better
- Kinetic Weapons Are Just Better: Generally easier to use and more versatile.
- Last Stand: The Cortex Bomb
- Lightning Gun: The Tesla Rifle
- Magnet Hands: Played straight with ladders and buttons, but averted with ledges.
- Mega Corp.: Datatrust
- My Defense Need Not Protect Me Forever: Defenders just have to hold out for twenty minutes.
- Nikola Tesla: The Tesla Rifle
- No Arc in Archery: Bolts are unaffected by gravity.
- Not the Fall That Kills You: A good way to avoid fall damage is to grab a ledge or ladder.
- Nuke 'em: The Cortex Bomb is a miniature thermonuclear suicide bomb lodged in your brain that starts it's countdown when your HP went below set amount.
- Our Weapons Will Be Boxy in the Future: The Assault Rifle and Boltgun
- Phallic Weapon: One of the Ion Cannon's nicknames is the Giant Penis Laser.
- Pinball Projectile: Bolts and grenades
- Point Defenseless: It's common for players to wander into the firing range of turrets without thinking, but if a player is prepared, they can be destroyed or avoided easily.
- Power Fist: Heavies use this instead of the swords that the other two classes use.
- Ragdoll Physics
- Robo Speak: Heavies
- Roboteching: Deliberately averted by having the rockets loose responsiveness over time.
- Secondary Fire: Contains all versions except for an unrelated secondary.
- Shell Game: The cyberspace box game in "Cybernetic"
- Space Elevator: ISEC 01, 02, and 03 as well as Atlantis are conventional ones. There's also the space fountain, Tower of Babel.
- Stealth Pun: From the heavy armor again.
- After a rocket kill: "You need to be de-fragged."
- Suicide Attack: The Cortex Bomb
- Vent Physics: The first set of vents in "Silo"
- Your Head A Splode: The Cortex Bomb