"You have 50 days before Dendygar ruins everything- I'll be waiting for you... Now, wake up!"
Crypt Worlds is a low-resolution-textured exploration game set in a humorously dark and morbid world. The object of the game is to stop Dendygar from destroying the world by helping the Unicorn Goddess Moronia. Or you could let Dendygar destroy the world in 50 days. There's a third ending to the game too...
There are plenty of (completely stationary) characters to talk to, most of them have something very morose to say.
"Smell that blood! Smell that bone! Even thinking about it gets me excited!... Throw some more in there, wont'cha?"
"Our mystical food vats can create food from even the most vile materials."
"My life is a void waiting to be filled with burgs."
Those are real text pieces from the characters in the game. Depending on your sense of humor, this can be very funny.
Several words in the game are square bracketed for some reason. This kind of adds to the atmosphere of the world.
Crypt Worlds can be downloaded for free here
The game has examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The game comes with a folder called Dictionarre Crypticus which contains pictures explaining more of the game's lore. Part of it is a diagram of the Crypt Plains which seems to be showing that the world is seperated into four quadrants. None of it is mentioned in the game.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Chaos God. Also destroys everything if you awaken it, turning the world red and removing (almost) all the people and items.
- Golden Ending: You see this if you help the Unicorn Goddess by collecting her [Goddess Relics]. It's quite an experience. Do this if you want to see a happy outcome, in the world that was previously bleak and insane for comedic effect.
- Eldritch Location: It's possible to make a wrong move and end up in the "Glitch World". This is not a real glitch, but it does weird things to you and does not fit anywhere with the world as you know it. Once you've beaten the inactive boss, you don't get to go there again.
- Let's Play: There is a fair amount of these for Crypt Worlds, but most series don't reach the end of the game.
- Stealth Prequel: In the game files there is another game called Horrible Screaming Murderer that leads into the main game.
- Surreal Horror: Happens a lot in the game. Sometimes played for laughs.
- The Prophecy: Some pictures on the wall of The Tunnels depict a 'hero' and his task. Clicking each one reveals the story of The Chosen One collecting the three Tears of God and using them to awaken The Chaos God. If you want a bad ending, you can actually do this.
- Ominous Visual Glitch: Sometimes clicking on an NPC will cause it to glitch out, turning into random red and yellow pixels, and say incoherently formed sentences.