Ayakashi: Ghost Guild
(あやかし陰陽録, Ayakashi Onmyouroku
) is a Zynga game for mobile platforms. A Card Battle Game
originating from Japan (specifically, Zynga's Japanese branch before it closed at the end of 2012, and the development then shifted to Zynga's Chinese branch), it has been translated into Chinese, English, and Korean, with the English port being the most recent. The key mechanism in Ayakashi: Ghost Guild
is cards, or daemons which are collected, enhanced and used for battle. There is also a central story running throughout the game, though it is currently ongoing. Various statistics govern the ability of players to explore the story line and use their cards for battle, while events provide additional opportunities for card collection.
You step into the shoes of a ghost agent, or onmyouji
, and are tasked to solve supernatural anomalies that happen in modern-day Japan with the help of your spiritual companion, Mira.
Has a regularly-maintained wiki here.
This game provides the following tropes.
- A Ghost Agent Is You
- All Myths Are True: Many creatures from Japanese lore appear here, though there are creatures from Western lore that appear as well.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Anima daemons, who are souls of objects. They range from ancient weapons, modern firearms, to Shaved Ice.
- Cute Ghost Girl / Cute Monster Girl: Many Phantom-type daemons are this.
- Face-Heel Turn: Chiyome Mochizuki in the "The Ninjas' Elegy" event and Sister in the main story both turn against you once the major enemies in their respective stories are defeated.
- Gender Bender: Many daemons, whether fictional or based on Real Life, are made female in this game. Examples include Shuten-doji, Behemoth, and Nyarlathotep.
- The "Sengoku Swimsuit Scene" event is essentially this en masse.
- Historical-Domain Character: Several Real Life figures, such as people from the Sengoku Era, can be made your daemons. Some of them are even gender-bent.
- Moe Anthropomorphism: Anima-type daemons are essentially these, as they are all tsukumogami, or inanimate objects that gain sentience either after 100 years or after gaining strong feelings towards their masters. Mira is one, as she is the soul of an ancient mirror.
- Odd Name Out: The members of Bayashi-5, a boy band, are Miyabi, Yuta, Taiju, Setsuna... and Julien.
- Punny Name: Many Anima daemons. Jane Saw, Anne Droid, Sylvia Spoon...
- Tactical Rock-Paper-Scissors: Anima-type daemons beat Divina-type daemons; Divina-type daemons beat Phantom-type daemons; and Phantom-type daemons beat Anima-type daemons.
- Took a Level in Badass: In the "Wondrous World of Weaponry" event, Kotetsu, one of the rank 1 starter cards, trained a lot (off-screen), and returns as a 5-star card with superb Stats and skill.
- Youkai: Many Phantom-type daemons are these. The kanji that represents those creatures is even the first kanji for youkai (妖怪).