- Creator Killer: M. Night Shyamalan was already feeling it after Lady in the Water became his first bona fide failure since he became famous, but this film only made him that much more of a laughingstock.
- Deliberate Flaw Retcon: This article argues that the film is actually a work of genius, the ‘flaws’ being deliberately worked in to subvert B-Movie Sci-Fi Horror tropes.
- Old Shame: Mark Wahlberg has admitted that this is one of the worst films he has ever done.
Wahlberg: …Fucking trees, man!
- Similarly Named Works: There was another film called The Happening released in 1967, and most of the people who have seen it also find it terrible.note If it is now remembered at all, it’s for the title track by The Supremes.
- What Could Have Been: Amy Adams was considered for the role of Alma.