Trivia: The Golden Child
- Dueling Movies: By an amazing coincidence, this movie came out at about the same time as another action-comedy about Eastern mysticism, Big Trouble in Little China.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Victor Wong ("The Old Man") also plays Egg Chen in Big Trouble in Little China.
- Old Shame: Eddie Murphy trashed this movie while promoting Coming to America, saying the original script was far better than the finished product (indeed, the novelization is closer to what was intended).
- What Could Have Been:
- In a brilliant example of Tropes Are Not Bad, Mel Gibson was considered for Jarrell. Face it: this movie has a rather cheesy and predictable plot, but it's being carried by Murphy's humor. Now imagine the movie without comedy but with Gibson.
- John Carpenter was originally attached to direct, but opted to make the similar Big Trouble in Little China.
- John Barry wrote a score for the film, but it was rejected in favor of Michel Colombier's synthesizer music. Two Barry compositions remain in the soundtrack, one of those being Ann Wilson's "Best Man in The World" (La-La Land released the complete work of both composers).