- Actor Allusion: Near the climax, Bolt escapes a burning building just like Billy Nolan did.
- Billing Displacement: Miley Cyrus is Billed Above the Title but is a supporting character at best while Susie Essman (the voice of Mittens) is lumped into the "also starring" list of actors.
- Executive Meddling: John Lasseter, who felt that Chris Sanders' original treatment for the film was "too mature", strongly suggested several changes, which Sanders refused, causing some considerable behind-the-scene drama resulting in Sanders leaving Disney after 18 years and moving on to DreamWorks Animation. According to some Disney insiders who saw previews of Sanders' American Dog, the meddling was not without justification.
"I saw the latest reel (yes, I worked at Disney then) and it was the most disjointed, confusing, quirky, weird, unmarketable movie Ive [sic] seen. It was rife with plot problems, the characters were unappealing... it just wasn't working and Sanders wouldn't fix it."
- The Other Marty: Chloe Moretz was the first choice to voice the role of Penny, and apparently voiced the character for the entire film. But she is quickly replaced by Miley Cyrus, who went on to re-record most of Penny's dialogue, even though Moretz's voice for Penny as a child still remains.
- Permanent Placeholder: Rhino's voice acting was done by an story artist Mark Walton who was just supposed to do the scratch voice. He was so hilarious, however, that he was asked to do the actual voice for the movie. He was just as excited as his character.
- Stunt Casting: As mention above, majority or Penny's lines were already recorded before the studio decided to recast Miley Cyrus to voice the character. Recasting to feature their current teen star in the movie—not really a coincidence.
- What Could Have Been: The film started as a far cry from what it would become. It began as Chris Sanders' follow up to Lilo & Stitch, with him serving as director and production designer. Story-wise, Bolt was a Funny Animal secret agent character, Rhino was a giant radioactive rabbit and Mittens was a male cat with an eyepatch named Ogo (the last character would later be recycled for Sanders' webcomic Kiskaloo). See Executive Meddling for the rest.
- Former NFL player Todd Marinovich was in talks to do the voice of Bolt.
- Mitten's original Kick the Dog backstory originally revealed that not only had her family declawed and abandoned her, but her name was Mr. Mittens because they never bothered to check if she was a boy or a girl.