The video game series:
- Follow the Leader: In The New Nightmare, the controls, presentation, and gameplay are a little too similar to Resident Evil to be coincidental ("a little" being a major understatement). Note that Tropes Are Not Bad, and this also means the game is much more faithful to the first game's spirit.
- Franchise Killer: The 2008 game was most likely this, as even a rerelease on PlayStation 3 to fix some of the bugs from the Xbox 360 version couldn't save it. It's even worse when you consider that even though the game developers delayed the release of the game for three years to try to stave off the bad publicity generated by Uwe Boll's failed film adaptation, some elements from the film still made it into the new game.
- Franchise Zombie: Both games after the original trilogy. Illumination looks like it may be the final nail in the coffin.
- What Could Have Been: Capcom was suppose to release AITD 3 for the Japanese market, but decided not to go with it.
- Working Title: The first game went through many working titles, such as "Nightmare in Derceto" (from the name of the mansion), "Doom in Derceto" and simply "In the Dark".