- In Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Eccentric Millionaire Preston Whitmore tempted fate in the backstory when discussing the legendary Shepherd's Journal and the lost city of Atlantis with his good friend, Thaddeus Thatch.
Whitmore: I finally got so fed up with it that I said to him: "Thatch, if you ever find that so-called journal of yours, I'll not only finance the expedition, but I'll kiss you full on the mouth!" Imagine my embarrassment when he found the darn thing... [Holds up a photograph of himself and Thaddeus, wiping their mouths and looking thoroughly squicked out.]
- Corpse Bride does this twice. First, the opening song, "According to Plan", is all about how "every tiny microscopic little thing" must be just perfect for the wedding. You couldn't be asking for it more. Then, later, when Barkis is making his wedding toast, he says, "No force on Earth can tear us apart!" Cue the invasion of the walking dead.
Grandmother Fa: "Beads of jade for beauty / You must proudly show it / Now add a cricket just for luck / And even you can't blow it!"
- When preparing Mulan to see the matchmaker, her grandmother sings:
Mulan: "I never want to see a naked man again." [Cue the stampede of naked men]
- Later, after narrowly escaping the lake with her disguise intact:
- Toy Story:
Rex: I think that's daylight! *Cue incinerator*
- "'It's safer in the cockpit than the cargo area'... what an idiot."
- "Oh, now Buzz! What could Andy possibly get that is worse than YOU?" Subverted in Toy Story 2, where the toys and the new puppy have become friends.
- In Toy Story 3.
- The Incredibles:
- "We're superheroes. What could happen?" Actually happens twice, with the same result.
- "Don't worry Mrs. Parr. I can handle anything this baby dishes out..."
- "This is not the end of it! I'll get your son eventually! I'll get your son!" Seconds later, Bob makes sure it's the end of it and Syndrome is introduced to the business end of a jet turbine.
- Finding Nemo: "No, I've never met a shark, and I don't plan to."..."Well, if I ever meet a sea turtle, I'll ask him... right after I'm done talking to the shark."
- The Princess and the Frog: "I've climbed a mountain, I've crossed a river, and I'm almost there!" To be fair, she had already made it past a number of obstacles — being a young, black, poor, woman... It was just that the magic took it to a whole new level of obstacles, and she couldn't have anticipated that!
- In the Hungarian cult film Cat City, mice are on the good side, and cats are criminals. At the beginning, a bank clerk assures a worrying client that to this bank, cats could only break into with a tank. Guess what happens next. And his very next line...
Clerk: No! Over my dead body!
- Played with in the first The Brave Little Toaster movie:
Radio: Things could be worse, you know!
Radio: How what?
Lampy: How could they be worse?
Radio: (after a beat) They couldn't. I lied.
- In Princess Mononoke, Lady Eboshi recommends caution with wounded opponents:
Eboshi: Cut off a wolf's head, and it still has the power to bite.
- The Earthworm in James and the Giant Peach, as he ponders what kind of bait would be good for seagulls.... ahem.
- Kung Fu Panda: "Escape from Chor-Gom Prison is IMPOSSIBLE!" Tai Lung likes a challenge
- Tai Lung taunts Po with "What are you gonna do, big guy? Sit on me?". Shortly after, both Po and him are tumbling down the mountain stairs and Po lands on his head.
- A Bug's Life has Hopper tempt fate upon seeing a bird standing right above him. To be fair, fate was Crying Wolf earlier on, seeing as how the last bird Hopper saw before then turned out to be a fake one designed by Flik, and said bird showed up while Hopper was trying to strangle Flik. Still, it is interesting that his last words (aside from the screaming) were being said to Flik upon them seeing said bird...
Hopper: Well, what's this? Another one of your little bird tricks?
Hopper: Are there a bunch of little girls in this one too? Hello, girls!
- Yellow Submarine. Ringo says "Nothing ever happens to me." Cue the title vehicle's appearance.
- The Aristocats: "You're going to Timbuktu, if it's the last thing I do!" (cue a bunch of alley cats led by Thomas O'Malley subduing Edgar, then shoving him into the very crate he was going to use to send Duchess and her kittens to Timbuktu, and as a result, it's now Edgar that's the one going to Timbuktu)
- Towards the end of Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, while Esmeralda is holding Quasimodo up over the edge of a building, while Frollo close by is standing, above a pool of molten copper, on a stone gargoyle, while carrying a sword, and says "and he shall smite the wicked, and plunge them into the fiery pit!" Remember what happened after that?
- Brother Bear uses this for amusement in its stinger. "No fish were harmed during the making of this movie." Cue some random fish swimming away screaming while being chased by a bear, followed by Koda turning toward the camera and blushing before covering the lens, ending the film.
- The premise of the song "I Just Can't Wait to be King" from the film The Lion King. Unfortunately, becoming king has a fairly drastic requirement...
- In Shrek the Third, Shrek is called to King Harold's side. Already annoyed by the kingly duties placed on him during Harold's sickness, he yells, "Someone better be dying!" That someone turns out to be Harold himself.
- Pinocchio. "Hear that beetle talk; you'd think something was gonna happen to us." Cue Lampwick turning into a donkey.
- The song "There Are No Cats in America" from An American Tail. However, it turns out that there are cats in America.
- In the 2012 version of The Lorax The Once-ler delivers the line "I intend to keep biggering and BIGGERING, and turning more truffula trees into thneeds! AND NOTHING IS GOING TO STOP ME!" right before the final truffula tree falls.
The Lorax: That's it. That's the last one. That may stop you...
Perry Babcock: Where are the police when they are needed!?
Sheriff Hopkins crashes her motorcycle into the Babcocks' car, slides across the car and rams into Perry.
- In another example, Norman arrives at the graveyard near Mr. Prederghast's home with the book, and reassures himself that all he's got to do is read it, stop the curse, and then go home and continue life as usual. Sounds easy enough. Except he's reading it in the wrong spot. The curse goes off anyway, causing all hell to break loose.
- Hoodwinked: Red is riding a cable car with Boingo.
Boingo: Hey, you deliver up this far?Red Puckett: Well, not usually. But I was thinking about what you told me earlier - about the Muffin Man? I need to protect Granny's recipes from that bandit's evil plan. They're gonna shut down everyone in the forest if we're not careful.(Cue tram car doors flying open and Red struggling to keep her balance)Boingo: No! (One second later, Red falls)
- In Aladdin and the King of Thieves during the opening song, Genie (imitating Walter Cronkite) asks "What can possibly go wrong?" before the forty thieves sing their verse proclaiming they will rob the party.
- In Frozen, Queen Elsa declares during her song "Let It Go", "You'll never see me cry!" She does cry, when her sister Anna seemingly sacrifices herself to save her. Fortunately, Anna lives.
- Monsters, Inc.: When Mike and Sully are fleeing to their apartment after Boo gets loose in the sushi restaurant Mike was taking Celia to, he comments that he doesn't think it could've gone any worse. Following this, the CDA encases the surrounding area behind them in a decontamination field.
- In Monsters University, Oozma Kappa comes last in the first event of the Scare Games, meaning that Mike now has to leave the university, and Dean Hardscrabble taunts that only a miracle could have saved them. Before she even finishes her sentence, the judges reveal that one of the fraternities cheated at the event and are disqualified, allowing Oozma Kappa to remain in the games.
- In Monsters vs. Aliens, Gallaxhar seemingly has Ginormica at his mercy, trapped in a cage of energy. He boasts "Don't bother, that force field is impenetrabl-" but doesn't even get to finish his sentence before Ginormica breaks through the field and tries to grab him.
Gallaxhar: Woah! What the flagnar?!
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. After the Baldwin family's home gets bombed by the Canadian Air Force, all of them are dead except for a single survivor. He triumphantly boasts "Ha ha! You missed me!" right before the last plane drops a bomb on his head as well.
- The Prince of Egypt: Quite a few examples:
Rameses: You don't think we'll get in trouble for this, do you?
- At the beginning, Moses and Rameses have caused chaos during their chariot race.
Moses: No, not a chance.
(Gilligan Cut Cue Moses and Rameses being scolded for the chaos the race caused)
Seti: Why do the gods torment me with such reckless, destructive, blasphemous sons!?
Rameses: I'm done for! Father will kill me!
- Later when they're late for the banquet:
Moses: Don't worry. Nobody will even notice us coming in!
(They walk in; the entire crowd sees them and cheers loudly)
Rameses: "Nobody will even notice..."
- A more dramatic example occurs later on. Rameses reacts to his son's fear of Moses after the first nine Plagues by threatening to kill every single Hebrew, and concludes with the phrase "And there shall be a great cry in all of Egypt, such as never has been or ever will be again!". The day after the Tenth Plague, every parent of Egypt cried the death of their firstborn.
- In Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas, Mickey is trying to get home with Christmas decorations (tied to the roof if his car) to replace the ones Pluto broke.
Mickey: I'm making good time. This shortcut is a lifesaver.
(the decorations hit a low bridge and fall off the car; Mickey runs over to them)
Mickey: Well, at least it's not all broken.
(a car runs over the decorations)
- In The Little Mermaid Eric uses an extremely poor choice in words with the following line:
Eric: Believe me, Grim, when I find the right girl, I'll know. Without a doubt. It'll just - BAM! - hit me...like lightning.
[cue Dramatic Thunder]
- In Strange Magic, the Bog King has been suffering from a captive princess who won't stop singing when her sister breaks in trying to free her.
The Bog King: Oh, no! Not another princess! Well, at least you don't sing.
Marianne: (singing) I'm coming straight on for you!
The Bog King: (angry groan)
- In Aladdin: The Return of Jafar Iago says this gem, having grown to like being the good guys and is lounging on a pillow surrounded by fruits. He then insults Jafar, and the lights go out and Jafar suddenly appears from the darkness. Then he threatens the terrified parrot into luring Aladdin and the others into his evil trap.
Iago: Oh, yeah. Bein' one of the good guys has his advantages. Ahh, advisor to Aladdin, the new grand vizier. And when Aladdin becomes Sultan, that will make me the grand vizier! Only I'm not gonna blow it like that idiot Jafar!! (eats a cluster of grapes) I'll never have to stand in his shadow again!
(Suddenly, the lights go out, spotlight switches on over Iago, and Jafar appears out of the darkness)
Iago: (Spit Take) AWK! JAFAR!!!! [chuckles nervously] Buddy?
(Jafar blasts Iago with his dark powers and ominous candelabras surround the parrot)
Iago: [backing away nervously] Jafar! A-a-a f-f-f-funny thing happened. You see, this guy took the lamp. Y-You probably thought it was me, 'cause it sounded a lot like me! But a lot of people sound like me! Anyway, he took the lamp—
Jafar: (appearing on the pillar Iago is leaning against) Calm yourself, Iago. I haven't come for revenge against you.
Iago: He-he-he! S-So that's good to hear!
Abis Mal: I got it! I could wish for the famed treasure chest of King Malakhan!
(Jafar blasts Abis Mal inside a treasure chest, then promptly makes the chest disappear, releasing the thief)
Jafar: Oh, I am dreadfully sorry, I thought that was your wish. Are you quite all right?
Abis Mal: No, I am not quite all—
Jafar: Wonderful. Good to see all's well. (Jafar turns his attention to the trembling and terrified Iago) Abis Mal here is my new friend. And I couldn't help noticing that you've made some new friends, too! Like...Aladdin!
Iago: FRIEND?! Uh...F-F-Friend is...such a strong word! He's-He's...more of an acquaintance!
Jafar: I'm arranging a little...surprise for Aladdin...and your job is to lead him to the party!
Iago: You know, I don't think I'm the guy for this job. You know, you should talk to...uh...the monkey! Yeah! The monkey's really got Aladdin's ear!
Jafar: No, Iago...YOU!...
- In The Road to El Dorado, when Tulio and Miguel are stuck on the rowboat with no food, we get this gem:
- In Zootopia when Judy and Nick hijack and then promptly crash the subway car that was being used as a lab to produce the Night Howler extract:
Judy: Okay, maybe... Maybe some of the evidence survived.
- Nick then reveals that he still has the briefcase with the serum gun and remaining samples.
- From Robin Hood:
Friar Tuck: Well, it's raining now. Things couldn't get worse!
Sheriff of Nottingham: (from behind them) Howdy, friar! (The Sexton plays a dissonant chord on the organ) Looks like I came by just in time!
- At the beginning of The Nut Job 2 Nutty By Nature:
Surly: Take it easy, Andie. It's not like the Nut Job's gonna explode.
(the Nut Job explodes)
- Near the climax of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, when Flint and his team are flying to shut down the FLDSMDFR he holds up the USB stick containing the kill code they need and expresses relief that he didn't lose it. Soon enough, the window on his side of his flying car gets shattered by a plate out of nowhere and the USB stick is defenestrated.
- Heavy Metal, "Captain Sternn" segment. While Sternn is fleeing Hanover Fiste, he takes refuge in a tunnel and says "Lost him" to his robot companion. A second later he hears Fiste smashing through things and approaching him.