Too many to count. Of note are...
- The scene where Kouyou bids his friends one last farewell before turning into a Master Festum to defend the island.
- I see that and raise you Sakura being assimilated, while being mind raped and losing herself all alone and struggling desperately to remember Kenji.
- That doesn't compare to Shouko's Heroic Sacrifice. Especially since it immediately segues into the end credits, which close on an image of other Fafner pilots crying, and the singer going (in translation): "Please God, give me just a little more time".
- This is made all the worse in the Light Novel, where the reader isn't even SHOWN the sacrifice, and is only treated to the visit to the grave. This troper, having read the Light novel before watching any of the series, was horrified to realize that His favorite character had died. This troper is also a Shipper of Shouko and Kazuki. Cue Manly Tears.
- After Soushi is trapped by an incredibly strong Festum and starts to exhibit signs of disorientation, Kazuki begins to shed tears of distress, shaking Shoushi's 'prison cocoon' and crying his name. This soon evolves into all-out rage and desperation when the Festum kidnaps Soushi. Kazuki propels himself high into Earth's atmosphere in pursuit, screaming:
- Right of Left. That in itself should suffice, but special mention must go to the deaths of main characters, Ryo and Yumi.
- "Good Boy. You went straight to your master's side, didn't you?"