, thanks to a run-in with MTV, who saw it as challenging trademarks on Ăon Flux
) is the first game in White Wolf
's Trinity Universe
, and the chronologically latest.
Set in the 2120s, you play as a psion, one of a select few humans gifted with extraordinary psychic abilities standing in humanity's defense, not least against the monstrous Aberrants, who seek to reclaim Earth as their own.
To become a psion requires having latent psychic potential. When the psi orders pick up on someone with the appropriate potential, they test them according to each order's own particular set of standards, then put them through a Prometheus Chamber, which triggers their latent abilities. A considerable number of psions stick with an order after triggering, though not all.
Each psi order is based in a particular geographical region, specializing in a particular type of Psychic Powers
, and modeled on a type of organization - if they're not one in practice. Each order is headed by a proxy, a psion with abilities above and beyond those of their fellows.
- Ăsculapian Order - A network of hi-tech medical clinics, with the original based in Basel, Switzerland. Specialize in vitakinesis, the healing of body and mind.
- ISRA (Interplanetary School for Research and Advancement) - Situated on the Moon, ISRA is modeled on a monastic order or New Age commune, though that doesn't stop members from going out and exploring the universe. Specializes in clairsentience, extending the senses through space and time.
- The Legions - Specializing in telekinesis, the Legions are a freewheeling private army headquartered in Sydney, Australia.
- The Ministry of Psionic Affairs - A ministry in the Chinese government, serving a variety of roles therein. Specializes in telepathy.
- Norša (Nova F˘rša de Nacionales - the New National Force) - Based on a South American crime family. Specialize in biokinesis, the ability to transform their own bodies.
- Orgotek - A biotech corporation headquarted in New York, FSA (Federated States of America). Specializes in electrokinesis, the manipulation of the electromagnetic spectrum.
- Upeo wa Macho - An interplanetary non-profit organization, focusing on space exploration and emergency action. Originally based in Nigeria, now on an extra-solar colony world. Specialize in teleportation.
- Chitra Bhanu - The so-called "dark psions", the fallen order. A research institute based in Mumbai, India, specializing in quantakinesis, the control of quantum forces. They studied Aberrants, who tap quantum directly, and were eventually wiped out by the other orders for Aberrant collaboration. While some quantakinetics still survive, no more can be created.
Due to receive a second edition as Trinity Continuum: Ăon
, which is set to change up some things.
If you're looking for the band, they're here
- A Protagonist Shall Lead Them: Otha Herzog, ISRA's proxy, is regarded as a messiah by a faction within his own order, something he's deeply uncomfortable with.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: So about the Norša's full name: it's correct in Catalan, but it is not correct for most anyone from a South American background, which the Norša are. Word of God is that it's been changed to something more linguistically appropriate for the new edition, which still abbreviates to "Norša".
- The Chessmaster: All over the place, notably the Doyen and a number of the proxies.
- Cut Short: The first edition was cancelled just as "Asia Ascendant", the Ministry splatbook, had been written (fortunately, it was made available as a free PDF). Had the line continued, there would also have been an aliens book, an Africa book, and then an update to bring things in line with Aberrant.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: How Florida got drowned, as recounted in "America Offline": during the Aberrant War, a young Aberrant with power over the oceans was concerned about climate change in Florida, her home state, and attempted to stabilize the Gulf Stream. Unanticipated resonance resulted in massive ocean waves that killed millions of people, including the Aberrant herself.
- Government Agency of Fiction: The Ministry.
- Mega Corp.: "Metacorporations", referring to companies with celebrity status, and/or with responsibilities not directly related to profit-making.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: The Novas on Eden have made it clear they have no intention of harming humanity or even coming back to Earth unless invited.
- Only Sane Man: Of the proxies, the Upeo Wa Macho proxy was the only one other than the Chibs who even considered a peaceful solution to the returning Aberrants, involving making peace with the sane Novas that colonized other worlds. The other Orders began talks of dismantling their order as a result. And the Norša proxy is the only one who has any kind of clue that the fall of the Chibs was due to outside interference and has been doing some digging. He also keeps many of the remaining chibs alive in secret.
- Then again, making peace is... not easy for the proxies, after the Aberrants' atrocities.
- Oppressive States of America: The fascist Federated States of America that arises in the aftermath of the Aberrant War. Restructured along the lines of a militaristic plutocracy, and having annexed much of Canada and Mexico, it is a long way away from the old United States.
- Organic Technology: Biotech. The alien Qin take it well beyond human capabilities.
- Psychic Powers
- Science Fiction Kitchen Sink: Pretty much every major area has its own genre: Europe is After the End, North America is Cyberpunk, etc.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The Upeo did this in fear of ending up like the Quantakinetics. Effective when their bag is Teleportation.
- Shout-Out: "America Offline" to AOL, aka America OnLine.
- Show Within a Show: Quite a few, most notably Strike Team Psion and Jake Danger: Aberrant Hunter. There's a mini-supplement about 23rd century media.
- The Sociopath: Vitakinetics' powers make them intimately aware of the physical and mental health of people in close proximity to them. Quite a few find being surrounded by so much pain and decay so overwhelming that they voluntarily undergo a process that turns them into sociopaths, just so they can get on with their jobs without being constantly crippled by empathy with their patients. (This isn't a preferred option for most docs, though.)