Table Top Game: Mystic Empyrean
Mystic Empyrean is a tabletop role-playing game in which Personality Powers
and shared game-mastering duty dominate gameplay.
The Grand Cornerstone
shattered long ago, destroying a utopian world. Now, beings called Eidolons try to gather the Cornerstones
that contain fragments of the old world and can be used to rebuild, and shape, a new one. Eidolons are typically mortals who Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence
and become able to reshape their own personalities and get powers based on them.
The game contains examples of:
- After the End: It's all post-apocalyptic.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: The guy who's perpetually in shadow and has terrifying pitch-black eyes is probably furtive and malicious. Beware the one who smells delicious too, though.
- Dungeon Crawling: "Dungeons" are explicitly a type of adventuring area, with their own rules.
- Elemental Powers: Everything is an elemental-based action, including diplomacy and crafting.
- Schizo Tech: The various realms vary from steampunk to traditional fantasy to high-tech spacefaring.
- Personality Powers: Emphasized, with Blessed with Suck at high levels. Are you "Pure"? You grow a unicorn horn with purification power, but eventually no one can touch you. "Headstrong"? You start being able to shoot energy blasts from your hands, but eventually can't use normal weapons. "Dutiful"? You sprout heavy chains that work as weapons but eventually attach to a giant rock or something. "Relentless"? You can sprout blades but can also rust. Luckily you can shed personality traits that get too annoying, and generate magic pearls by doing it.
- Planar Champion: Kind of the point. (And having "Wanderlust" gives you an Aperture Science Implanted Portal Device.)
- Fisher King: Every Eidolon is this wherever they go; using Anima temporarily reshapes the regional elemental balance to make certain kinds of actions easier, and rebuilding/creating realms is said to be influenced by the one who does it.
- The Fettered: Defying your personal creed is far more harmful than being blown up. Taken more literally with the "Dutiful" power above and with others like "Obedient".
- Pocket Dimension: The world is made of these.