- The sniper rifle is named after a character in The Usual Suspects.
- Tetsuo and Kaneda are the names of motorcycles.
- The game is basically a prequel to Red Faction. Here's a couple of the Shout Outs to the game.
Their Masako army in the second game.
A radio ad is for a show based on the game.
A radio call in a secret lab for Dr. Parker.
The Saints make a movie which is basically Red Faction.
- The Saints are something of a homage to the New Orleans Saints (both use a fleur-de-lis as their official symbol). Coincidentally, their gang colors are purple with gold accents, just like the N.O. Saints' NCAA counterparts, the LSU Tigers.
- In the intro scene that serves as an advertisement for Saints Flow in The Third, Pierce clearly channels Goku when he shoots energy balls out of his hands and even does a kamehameha wave!
- Carlos is an Expy of a character in The Butterfly Effect.
- Several vehicles look like and are named after Transformers.
- Several random comments are taken from Metal Gear.
- Claire and Ducky will have their songs played on the Mix 107.77 in Saints Row 2.
- "We can't stop here! This is Bat Country!"
- The angel statue in the Saints hideout is a Shout-Out to Scarface (1983).
- The tag line for the sports team Stilwater Sharks is You're gonna need a bigger boat.
- The two Big Bads in one gang are Shogo and Kazuo.
- The OBJECTION Memetic Mutation gets a go here.
- Completing the Hitman activities in 2 gets you the achievement Hello 47. The Third's version is named Everything Is Permitted.
- Veteran Child refers to The Dragon of the Sons of Samedi, a voodoo witch, as "Papa Shango".
- One of the radio hosts will Shout-Out Castlevania before playing What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse.
- In the second game, the doctor in the prologue is a big fan of Trauma Center.
- Of course there's a Take That in the form of a character named Zack Johnson.
- One of the assassination targets is a clone of Indiana Jones.
- The first Ronin mission ditches the elaborate plan to rob a casino from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which itself was a Shout-Out to Ocean's Eleven.
- Shaundi will swing by a coffee shop for a Boston Cream, referencing her voice actor.
- One taunt in the third game belongs to John Cena. Another belongs to Ric Flair (and his music is used in the intro. Yet another is the splits performed by WWE Diva Melina. Still another taunt belongs to The Miz. The Big Bad is a wrestler, who is opposed by Hulk Hogan (whose signature taunt is also present.) He makes reference to the Montreal Screwjob and has Christian's finishing move.
- Other taunts borrow from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Vanilla Ice, Spaceballs and íThree Amigos!.
- The Star Wars intro crawl is parodied here.
- Several achievements are homages to G.I. Joe.
- One mission has you drive around with a tiger in the passenger seat like in The Hangover or Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.
- Hijack a plane for the first time and your character cannot resist quoting Top Gun.
One will sing "Whoooa Daaanger Zoooooone!" when she takes off.
Another will go "Jester's dead!" when bailing out.
And another will go "Woooo talk to me Goose!" when jumping in.
- There are several mid air battles in the game. A couple are based on Shoot 'em Up and Wet. One involves a TANK. Your character might even quote the movie.
- If playing as the Russian woman, apparently her cousin is Niko.
- The other Big Bad of the game is Nick Fury and SHIELD.
- Salander, one of the neighborhoods in the hacker themed Deckers territory, is named after Lizbeth Salander in The Millennium Trilogy.
- The other other Big Bad\Man Behind the Man is a Expy of Sarah Palin.
- Nyte Blade is a show about some type of half vampire slayer...guy, which is both a Shout-Out and Take That to vampire films and shows like Angel, True Blood, Twilight and The Vampire Diaries.
- During the mission Zombie Attack, Viola asks "How do you kill something that's already dead?" The Boss's response is "Shoot it until it stops moving."
- In The Third's Whored Mode, one of the waves on the Zombie Island map gives you a chainsaw against a bunch of zombies. The wave is called Hank East and the subtitle is "He's covered wars ya know".
- Although you cannot get the coat at the same time, it is completely possible to have your character look like Captain Mal, though, as said, without his brown coat.
- DLC for The Third includes the TOGO-13, a sniper rifle that fits into the assault rifle slot and can fire in full-auto. The namesake hitman uses an M16 assault rifle to snipe targets.
Shout Out / Saints Row
Saints Row IV has its own page.