Series: Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai
You can't tell when, how or why!
Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai is an Indian Dom Com
that ran from 2004 to 2006. It was written by Aatish Kapadia and was directed by Deven Bhojani.
The show revolves around a fictional upper-class family, the Sarabhais, that live in a luxurious apartment in the city of Mumbai. The family consists of
- Indravadan Sarabhai, a rich businessman who likes to play pranks. He is mischievous and ususally picks on his younger son, Roshesh.
- Maya Sarabhai, Indravadan's wife, a socialite. She constantly mocks her daughter-in-law for being too "Middle Class."
- Sahil Sarabhai, The son of Indravadan and Maya. He is a doctor by a profession.
- Monisha Sarabhai, The wife of Sahil. She is constantly picked upon by Maya for her strange habits. She can get very emotional and is quite naive. She is also an extremely terrible cook, and serves stale or burnt food to her husband.
- Rosesh Sarabhai, the younger son of Indravadan and Maya. He suffers from a speech disorder, so his voice is shrill and high-pitched. He is a wannabe theater actor and poet. However, his roles are usually weird (such as the Wind or Milk) and his poetry is strange, nonsensical and onomatopoeic. He is also very attached to his mother, Maya. Indravadan picks on him for being a "Momma's boy".
The series also has a host of supporting characters, like gadget-freak Dushyant, hard-of-hearing Madhusudhan and Tarot reader Sonya.
Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai contains examples of:
- Captain Obvious : Madhusan states the plain obvious. Justified, since he is hard of hearing.
- Catchphrase : Maya - "It's so middle class!"
- Also Dushyant's "I'll explain!" and Madhusudhan's "Hein?"
- Creator Cameo : Aatish Kapadia (the writer) appears as a poet on one of the episodes.
- Cross Over : One episode with the cast of Instant Khichdi
- Crystal Ball : A mystic shows the Sarabhais their future in one in the finale episode.
- Early Installment Weirdness : Rosesh's voice is much deeper in the earlier episodes. His way of talking is also different.
- Hypocritical Humor : Maya's philanthropic acts - such as helping alcohol-abused children, by hosting a cocktail party.
- Laugh Track : In the earlier episodes.
- Literal-Minded : Dushyant.
- He repeats the same sentence if someone responds "What are you saying?"
- Momma's Boy : Rosesh.
- Mr. Fixit : Dushyant loves to repair things. He often drops by to check if all gadgets are working fine.
- Only Sane Man : Sahil, mostly.
- Season Finale : A mystic shows the Sarabhais their future.
- The Prankster : Indravadan. His pranks usually target Rosesh.
- Title Sequence : On YouTube
- Whole Episode Flashback : Two. One that showed how Indravadan and Maya met. The other was about the marriage of Sahil and Monisha.