"Forbidden is this love, so what? Forbidden is this passion, so what?"Padre Coraje
("Father Courage") is a 2004 Argentine telenovela
. It takes place in the 1950s, in the remote village of La Cruz. There is an evil mayor in the village, who exploits the rural workers. They have a folk hero, Coraje, a robbed man who avenges evil. To fight against the mayor he needs to get into the village, into a position of power, but does not know how. A new Father comes to the local church, Father Juan, who is attacked. Coraje could not save him, but found what he needed: he headed to the village as the Father Juan (that nobody had seen before), and became the confident of the mayor, while still avenging evil as Coraje.
Padre Coraje contains examples of:
- Anti-Villain: Amanda
- Becoming the Mask: When Juan had amnesia, he was informed that he was the priest. He was informed later that he was not really a priest, that it was all a masquerade... too late: now he likes being a priest.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Marcia, assistant of Ana
- The Commissioner Gordon: Clara and Amanda usually play this role
- Disability as an Excuse for Jerkassery: Ana Guerrico.
- Disabled Love Interest: Ana Guerrico
- Doomed by Canon: Eva Perón. Juan Domingo Perón himself visited La Cruz, to request a miracle from Juan.
- Eureka Moment: When Clara remembered several details from here and there, and realized that the priest is Coraje
- Feminism: The mayor Costa runs for reelection, and Amanda Jauregui runs against him. Costa gloated that she had no chances. She does. Thanks to Eva Perón (remember that the story is set in that time period, not the present), women are allowed to vote, and they are majority. And so, she began to recluit all the women of the village for political action... even the hookers.
- General Ripper: For the mayor, each problem he has (either if Coraje foiled his crime, or his son does not respect him, or the budget for paving the streets is a bit small) is Coraje's fault.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: Both Eva Peron and Juan Domingo Perón appeared at special episodes. They took the side of the good guys.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: All the girls of the hostel
- Loves My Alter Ego: Coraje falled in love with Clara Guerrico, but can't have anything with her while pretending to be a priest, nor reveal her his double identity.
- Momma's Boy: Pipo
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: The agent sent by the governor of the Buenos Aires province (similar to a state governor in the US), who must investigate the whole issue regarding Coraje... and the Mayor, as well.
- The Omniscient Council of Vagueness: The secret lodge
- The Remnant: The series takes place during the rise of Peronism, but the mayor is not peronist: he's the type of rulers that dominated Argentina during the "Infamous Decade".
- Rage Against the Heavens: Ana had a brief one when the priest was shot.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: The mayor staged a scene where he killed a man robbed as Coraje, and claimed that he killed him. He organized the funeral, to lower the rural worker's morale. Of course, there's no body, so he used a coffin full of rocks. What can Coraje do? He attended the funeral, as Father (he couldn't have evaded it), and an ally robbed as Coraje threatened to kill him, declaring to be alive, and ordering the mayor to open the coffin.
- Sexy Priest: Well, he's not really a priest, so he's not breaking any celibacy oath. Still, And and Clara like him, even when to their knowledge he is the priest.
- Throwing Off the Disability: Ana began in a wheelchair, and left it halfway the series. It happened that, even if not being a priest, somehow Coraje is capable of making miracles. Of course, he has no control over it, and does not like to be treated as a miracle man.
- Tranquil Fury: There was a celebration at the hostel, and "the girl" was killed in a room, the others had the music on and did not realize anything. The killer then left the room and joined the party. Mesina left the party for a moment, passed by the room, and saw the corpse. She left the room horrorized, the camera focused on her horrorized face, and focused out when she shot the killer.
- Ultimate Authority Mayor
- The Unintelligible: The "Mute", a girl of the hostel. Despite her given name, she's not mute, it's simply hard to understand her.