Political aide John Loengard has a run-in with extraterrestrial forces, and ends up tracking a body-snatching alien invasion as part of the super-secret agency Majestic 12. This series was launched at the height of the paranormal mania created by The X-Files
. Notable for its 1960s setting and a pre-Star Trek: Voyager
role for Jeri Ryan as a Russian sexpot agent. Cancelled after one season
Not to be confused with the 2013 horror film of the same name, though both are about aliens.
This series provides examples of:
- Alien Abduction
- All Theories Are True: Especially UFOlogy and other '60s Conspiracy Theory lore.
- Bad Boss: Bach, very much so.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: The events of the show are shown to be interconnected with historical events.
- The most extreme example is in the final episode "Bloodlines", in which the Hive infested Jim Steele murders a hippie and assumes his identity: Charles Manson
- Cliff Hanger: The series-ending kind.
- Dueling Shows: with The X-Files... for all of one season.
- E.T. Gave Us Wi-Fi: The show, and the conspiracy folklore it's based on, supposes that modern technology was invented by reverse-engineering material from the famous Roswell incident.
- Exposed Extraterrestrials
- Fake Guest Star: Conor O'Farrell (Lt. Commander Phil Albano) appears in 18 of the series' 20 episodes, missing only "Dreamland" and "The Last Wave", but remains a guest star throughout the series. In fact, he is generally quite low in the guest list.
- Flying Saucer
- Government Conspiracy: Majestic in the US and Aura-Z in the Soviet Union.
- The Greys: a (presumably) peaceful race that was taken over by the parasitic Hive. They and their technology are used by the Hive to menace Earth.
- Historical-Domain Character: Many, many, from The Beatles and Jim Morrison, to Carl Sagan and Colin Powell.
- Hive Mind: The appropriately named "Hive" aliens have this.
- Roswell That Ends Well: They landed. They met with the President. They told him to surrender. He refused. They shot the ship down.
- Who Shot JFK?: The Hive.
- The Virus: The Hive acts like this.