Series: Back In The Game
2013 ABC Sitcom about a divorced woman (Terry Gannon Jr., played by Maggie Lawson) forced to move with her son Danny (Griffin Gluck) back into her dad's (Terry Sr."The Cannon" , James Caan) house. Cannon, a retired baseball coach, had pushed his daughter into the sport, where she peaked as a star player in college softball but now wants nothing to do with it. Hilarity Ensues when Danny goes out for Little League, he doesn't make the team and Grandpa along with his daughter's rich friend Lulu builds a new team around Danny and the other misfit kids.Despite its short run, BITG has already been cancelled, ending at its original 13 episode run.
This show contains examples of:
This show contains examples of:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Danny pretends to be one to impress a girl. He is fairly successful attracting both the girl he wanted and another one, but decides to quit when the second girls previous boyfriend hits him. Terry apparently went for them too which is how she ended up with Danny in the first place.
- Alpha Bitch: Keely Summers, who was Terry's rival from her old high school.
- Always Someone Better: Keely Summers, Terry's rival from high school.
- Ambiguously Brown: Lulu. For some weird reason, her son Michael appears to be white.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: The Cannon and Terry in a father-daughter way. In the pilot episode Terry finds the tapes that her father had of all her college games after being angry with him earlier in the episode for not going to see them like he said he would.
- Backhanded Compliment: Dick delivers one, which eventually slides into just insulting.Dick: I like your look, a lot of girls have beauty but you're not concerned about that. You have character, it's like your clothes, you don't care what anybody thinks, and your hair, it's like you were angry when you cut it.
- Batter Up: The Cannons way of solving most problems, he advises his grandson to kneecap a boy who punched him and has threatened many others.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: The Gannon Family.
- Camp Gay: Michael dances on the field and when everyone on the team is describing themselves he sings "Born this Way" by Lady Gaga.
- Cut Short
- Catch Phrase: "And here ends the lesson."
- Coined by the Cannon, repeated by Danny when he finds a way to profit from his grandfather's insane attempt to teach him one.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Danny's crush, Vanessa, is quite tanned with blonde hair.
- Friendless Background: Lulu mentions that at all of her son Michael's previous parties, no matter how many children were invited, he was the only one under 40 who ever attended.
- Guns Akimbo: Danny during the climax of his birthday paintball game.
- Gender-Blender Name: Terry Sr. named his daughter Terry Jr.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Two strippers that The Cannon hired ask him where they should set up their ping pong balls. Terry is disgusted.
- Insistent Terminology: The Cannon insists on calling the butterfly painted on his face a Monarch.
- Jerkass: League head, the aptly named Dick.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The Cannon, definitely. He isn't the nicest person around, but get between him and his family and you WILL pay.
- Meaningful Name: Dick's name means a guy being an asshole or jerk at all times.
- Missing Mom: Terry's mom. It was said in the pilot that she lost her mom when she was young, referring to herself as "the little blonde girl that loses her mother".
- The Nicknamer: The Cannon. He calls his daughter "Junior" and Dudley (one of the kids on Danny's team) "fat kid."
- Oblivious Guilt Slinging: When Terry tries to be a car salesman she convinces a woman to buy a car and as she's signing the contract the woman thanks her for being so helpful and not taking advantage and talks about how she has saved up for the car for 14 years and how her daughters activities are really expensive. Terry ends up ripping up the contract and sending her across the street to get a better deal.
- Papa Wolf: The Cannon big time. He almost took a swing at Dick for insulting his daughter and grandson for being so screwed-up.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: When The Cannon sees a kid of Mexican descent climbing a fence he tells him to come down since "you're in America already". He also tells the Asian kid on the team, "You can handle the video because your people love cameras".
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Played much more realistically than usual, the last game of the year ends with Danny bunting which gets them a single run - a personal best for the team.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: The team was to be called the Angels after the major league California Angels, but due to a typo on the uniform order they're the Angles.
- Sexy Whatever Outfit: Terry dressed up as a sexy Princess for Halloween, trying to outdo Keely.
- Slobs Versus Snobs - Averted for the most part, Terry and Lulu get along great despite the difference in their status, however when they try and plan a combined party together it begins to show up with Lulu buying everything she can find and Terry feeling like she's rubbing her wealth in her face. They eventually reconcile when they explain their motivations.
- Tomboy: Vanessa, being a quite able baseball player. And Terry, who is also very able at baseball, even if she was forced into it.
- Waxing Lyrical: From Danny's teacher and then from the rest of the Gannon's when they see her yelling at him.Ms. Crosby: Every test you take, every move you make, I'll be failing you...I'll be failing you.The Cannon: Hey.Terry: Teacher, leave that kid alone.
- You Go Girl: Terry, with being a former baseball player in college.