Series: All Aussie Adventures
Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures was an Australian mockumentary TV Series, a parody of the travel-adventure genre, created by Working Dog Productions. It ran on Network Ten for thirteen episodes over two series, from August 2001 to September 2002. A telemovie, Russell Coight's Celebrity Challenge, followed in 2004.Russell Coight (a technically uncredited Glenn Robbins) is a self-proclaimed "outback man" who travels the outback in a four-wheel drive, sometimes transporting tourists or helping out mates, and always causing some kind of disaster in the process.
This series contains examples of:
- Alter Ego Acting: Robbins has appeared in character as Russell Coight a number of times on talk shows, including one in which Robbins himself was a regular panelist.
- Blatant Lies: Russell's narration frequently contradicts what we just saw, most commonly in the roadside assistance bits: "Problem solved."
- Finagle's Law: Anytime you can see a potential disaster, it will happen.
- The Ghost: Russell's sister Meredith Coight, who gets a wide variety of credits, such as crocodile tamer and stunt coordinator.
- An Insert: A Running Gag: whenever Russell shakes someone's hand, cut to a closeup of two obviously different hands shaking.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Russell, most of his injuries being self-inflicted.
- No Animals Were Harmed: Subverted in a Running Gag, since Russell invariably does kill something. The DVD box even informs us that, "No more than six animals were injured in the making of this program." In universe, this is definitely an understatement.
- No Longer with Us: Russell describes his ex-wife as such, immediately clarifiying that she left him for another man.
- Noodle Incident:Russell: I gained most of my vast knowledge of the outback from my father Russell Coight Snr, who taught me everything I know before he died from a combination of a self-inflicted axe wound, sunstroke, and snake-bite.
- Once an Episode: Russell stops to help out tourists with their car, usually making it worse.
- Shaped Like Itself: A Running Gag: "Australia: a land as ancient as it is old."
- Unreliable Narrator: Russell.
- Walking Disaster Area: Russell causes a lot of property damage (especially to his own), injuries to himself and others and gets a lot of animals killed.