Roleplay / Aut Omnia Aut Nihil
All of this has happened before, and if all goes as planned it will happen again.Aut Omnia, aut Nihil—the Ballad of Genesis
, is a fairly popular Play-by-Post Game
started by our very own ill-tempered amphibian SullenFrog
The concept is simple enough. A Reckoning in Heaven is plaguing many universes, and the Creator of these universes have lost their power to save them. The damage is too severe for the servant Angels of the Creator to fix and many Earths will be destroyed in the process. Billions of humans and animals will die, consumed and destroyed by the chaos soon to come.
But there is hope.
While they have no recollection of this event, at some point in their pasts—likely shortly after their births, though there may be exceptions—a young group of people were taken from their parents, family or friends by a mysterious cult and forcibly infused with the latent essence of an Old God, one of the many deities, demons and spirits who held sway over mankind before the Abrahamic faiths, Buddhism and Hinduism grew into the dominant religions of the world. The divine essence that courses through their blood is awoken when their are invited by a black envelope to a strange building in their town of Genesis Springs, known as Aut Omnia, aut Nihil.
Their worlds have ended, and they have taken on new forms, becoming one with gods of many religions and mythologies, with the task of creating and shaping new worlds and gaining worshipers in however way they see fit. But they are not alone...There are other people who have been given godly power, and who want those same worshipers, and those same worlds, for themselves. And this new group of inexperienced Gods will have to master their power if all of existence ever has any hope of surviving...
This game now has a recap page
in dire need of attention.
Provides Examples Of:
- A God Is You: It runs on this trope.
- Anyone Can Die
- Beware the Nice Ones//Beware the Silly Ones: Applies to every nice or goofy member of the godlings.
- Big Bad Quintumvirate: The Compact, an alliance of the five most powerful and influential Inheritors on Metatron's Cube; each one rules one of the Cube's five layers, and travel from one layer to the next is almost impossible without their permission. As they have sealed off the Core of Metatron's Cube and bound the keys for this seal into their own souls, they must all be defeated if the Godlings are to succeed in their mission.
- Cancellation: both instances were Cancellated.
- Crazy-Prepared: Sunny is the embodiment of this trope, due to him being so poor he had to save everything useful frugally.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: Some of the godlings (especially Sig) and some of the divine essences (especially Balor and Tlaloc) run on this.
- Disproportionate Retribution: According to some, wholly deserved according to others.
- Gods Need Prayer Badly: Played straight; as the Godlings gather followers, they become more powerful.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language
- Have You Seen My God?: As mentioned in the above description, the Creator's power has been sundered by the so-called Reckoning in Heaven, leading to the destruction of the universe and the present state of affairs. The one angel who has appeared thus far, Aricrethiel, is uncertain as to the precise cause of this, although the Man in Black implies that the Man Upstairs has kicked the bucket.
- Idiot Ball: Occasionally held by one godling or another, guaranteed to screw up any attempt at diplomacy.
- Killed Off for Real
- Knight Templar: Most of the gods.
- Made of Iron: A good number of the godlings have this going for them.
- Our Angels Are Different: The various incarnations of gods take many different forms. The one angel actually present, however, has minimal differences from stereotypical depictions.
- Our Monsters Are Different: The first real opponent the godlings face, a karkadann, is depicted here as a twelve-foot tall, white-skinned, shark-toothed rhinoceros with earth-elemental powers and a taste for flesh.
- Painful Transformation: When the characters' divine essences woke up and converted them into new forms befitting their godly status, the changes were rather unpleasant.
- Plucky Comic Relief: San Martin Txiki.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!
- The Chosen Many: God is... gone, and it's up to the godlings to rebuild the universe. There's a tonne of them, and many aren't your friends.
- Walk the Cube: the godlings are instructed to wander about Metatron's Cube to gather followers.