Roleplay / New Dawn Academy
New Dawn Academy
is yet another Bay 12 RP by smurfingtonthethird and Rolepgeek. Taking place during the five-year timeskip between Rise Of The Magic Girls
' second and third incarnations, the eponymous academy is established to educate potential magic users.....and a plethora of other entities. Hilarity Ensues
The roleplay features the following tropes:
- All-Ghouls School: The cast features a Super Soldier, a bitchy demon, a Plant Person and a miniature Eldritch Abomination.
- Badass Adorable: Again, Marcus.
- Also, John and Ghislaine.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Oliver's player plans to invoke this with him eventually.
- Celestial Paragons and Archangels: Abbadon.
- Covert Pervert: Oliver. This gets him in trouble when he ogles Ghislaine.
- Demon Lords and Archdevils: Ghislaine and the rest of the demons in the game are pretty much this.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Ghislaine is hit in the head with a rock by Oliver while the former is beating on Fuschia during Fighting class, so she decides to kick his ass in return.
- Distaff Counterpart: Tohru to Marcus. Both have powers that require certain conditions to trigger (Gauntlet of Verethragna/Spirits of the Zodiac) and share personality traits.
- The Dreaded: Ghislaine is rapidly turning into this. It's to the point that some students carry around salt to deter her, a habit Ghislaine is not amused by.
- Dysfunction Junction: Woo boy. The game has already been compared to Twilight Academy, among other things. It almost seems as if the only person with no serious issues are Mitsuru and THE.
- Eldritch Abomination: THE. Also, Abbadon himself, as the school's gardener and counselor.
- Elsewhere Fic: To Rise Of The Magic Girls.
- Expy: John is one of John-117.
- Mitsuru is a triple whammy: Mami, Yang and Mitsuru.
- Marcus is one of Godou.
- Mimu is another character of her player's who is an adorable child-sized Cat Girl.
- Tohru is one of, well Tohru. Also, her name shares a last name with Fuuka. This is intentional.
- Funny Foreigner: Tom is a Brave Scot with a fitting accent.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Ghislaine to Oliver in the Fighting class.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The students and to an extent the staff.
- An impromptu investigation team is formed to find out if the school is secretly recording all magic used, consisting of Louis, Mitsuru and Ghislaine.
- Royal Brat: Ghislaine is this to a T. She's entitled, spoiled, and just generally a bitch. It also doesn't help that she's a demon, so what she is used to getting away with can be a bit... extreme.
- Social Darwinist: John is one.
- Team Dad: Louis, strangely. It helps that he ends up, along with Mitsuru, as the voice of reason when things get heated.
- Team Mom: Mitsuru is rapidly filling this role, acting as the consoler to Marcus and Amy, among other things.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Mitsuru and Louis have the abilities of generating ribbons from nowhere and enchanting furniture, respectively.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Ghislaine calls out the rest of the students for carrying salt, which acts like acid to her, and reminds them that she doesn't carry acid to throw in their faces.
- Earlier than that, Mitsuru and Louis call Amy out on creating the salt in the first place.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Demons like Ghislaine are vulnerable to salt and Fuchsia seems to be vulnerable to fire. Justified: salt is a purifying substance in folklore and Fuchsia is a Plant Person.
- Oliver, to being hit.
- It's more like 'glass peashooter', though.
- Winds of Destiny, Change: Allil's power. In practice, it also turns him into The Pornomancer if he overshoots and accidentally makes someone he's talking to fall in love with him.
- Wizarding School: The titular academy.