Recap: The Wild Wild West S 4 E 11 The Night Of The Avaricious Actuary
Rich financier John Taney's home is destroyed in an earthquake caused by a giant tuning fork, the latest in a series of attacks on millionaires' mansions. West and Gordon suspect that the newly-formed Cyclops Insurance Company is involved; West investigates the company while Gordon tries and fails to convince the other men who have received offers of "insurance" from the firm not to pay up. Based on what West manages to recover from the company offices, the agents determine that the mastermind behind the operation is Dr. Tebor Kovacs, a tuning fork expert who was once jailed for selling classified information. They set about tracking down Kovacs and breaking up his extortion racket.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Fancy Dinner: Artie poses as a snooty waiter at an extravagant gourmet dinner given by the Epicurean Society.
- Fat Bastard: Subverted by Dr. Kovacs. He's greedy, nasty and obsessed with food, and the only description the agents have of him is that he's very fat... but it turns out he lost a lot of weight in prison.
- French Cuisine Is Haughty: The Epicurean Society serves its members nothing but French cuisine.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: The villain has constructed a gigantic tuning fork that can demolish entire mansions.
- Viewers Are Morons: You see the fellow in the lower right hand corner of the page image? That's supposed to be Artie...