Episode - 7F08
First Aired - 11/15/1990
After feeling Flanders is better than him in every way, Homer decides to prove his family's worth by forcing Bart to compete in a mini-golf tournament with Todd Flanders.
This episode provides examples of:
- Absurdly High-Stakes Game
- A Day in the Limelight: For Todd, though most of the plot focused on Bart.
- This is the first episode to prominently feature the Flanders family, rather than just being a one-shot gag.
- Exact Words: Because of how the bet between Homer and Flanders was worded (the father of the kid who "doesn't win" instead of "the loser", because Flanders found the wording too cruel for his sensibilities) Homer insisted the both of them mow each other's lawn on Sunday dresses.
- I Call It Vera: Homer tells Bart to give his putter a name. Bart says "Mr. Putter," so he specifies it should be a girl's name. Bart selects "Mom," to which Homer snaps "Your putter's name is Charlene!"
- Unishment: Flanders is actually amused at mowing the lawn in a Sunday dress (as it reminds him of his fraternity days), much to Homer's frustration.
- X Must Not Win: Homer is willing to accept both him and Flanders facing the losing penalty so long at it means Flanders suffers. Unfortunately for Homer, Flanders enjoys it due to being reminded of his fraternity days.