Recap: The Simpsons S 2 E 6 Dead Putting Society
Episode - 7F08
First Aired - 11/15/1990
After feeling Ned Flanders is better than him in every way, Homer decides to prove his family's worth by forcing Bart to compete in a mini-golf tournament with Todd Flanders.
This episode contains examples of:
- Absurdly High-Stakes Game
- A Day in the Limelight: For Todd, though most of the plot focused on Bart.
- This is the first episode to prominently feature the Flanders family, rather than just being a one-shot gag.
- Exact Words: Because of how the bet between Homer and Ned was worded (the father of the kid who "doesn't win" instead of "the loser", because Ned found the wording too cruel for his sensibilities), Homer insisted that both of them mow each other's lawn in their own wives' Sunday dresses.
- I Call It "Vera": Homer tells Bart to give his putter a name. Bart says "Mr. Putter," so he specifies it should be a girl's name. Bart selects "Mom," to which Homer snaps "Your putter's name is Charlene!"
- Unishment: Ned is actually amused at mowing the lawn in a Sunday dress (as it reminds him of his fraternity days), much to Homer's frustration.
- X Must Not Win: Homer is willing to accept both Ned and him facing the losing penalty so long at it means Ned suffers. Unfortunately for Homer, Ned enjoys it due to being reminded of his fraternity days.